Measuring flue draft - Blaze King

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashful

Minister of Fire
Mar 7, 2012
Philadelphia
Whereas Jotul and many other stove manufacturers put statements in their manual about adequate versus too much draft, with no numbers for reference, Blaze King has actually listed their draft requirements. The Ashford states 0.05 w.c. nominal on high (or .02 to .03 on medium), with 0.06 w.c. being too high.

This generates two questions:

1. How might one go about actually measuring this on their own chimney? Who would you call if you wanted to have it measured?

2. Might these numbers translate to a Jotul 12? Seeing as how much the numbers vary with stove setting (0.05 on high vs. ~0.025 on medium), I guess probably not.

http://www.woodmanspartsplus.com/50283/561953/Gas-Specialties/Manometer-Kit.html

I think this is about as cheap as you'll find. I'm not a pro but I have used a digital manometer for duct smoke detector testing.

I would think you need to put a small hole in the stove pipe just above the flue collar and find a way to make a seal with the manometer tube. One end in the chimney the other exposed to atmosphere.

Just my guess?

Have I mentioned recently how much I love this place? You guys are a wealth of information.

Reactions: Wisneaky
Cool idea, but if I can buy one for $45, it's well worth just doing that.

Wife: "What are you doing out in the garage, while I try to entertain the kids, cook, and clean all that the same time?"
Husband: "I'm building my own manometer."

It will be tough remembering much after that, with a hatchet buried in the back of my skull.

Last post on this page is how I set mine up using one of those ebay magnehelic gauges. Its nice that its always there and you can see what its at every time you walk past it, vs using a hand held one. Its easier to get a feel for how it behaves over time vs a single reading once a while with a hand held. Mine normally runs fairly significantly over what BK recommends but it has never caused and issue.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...ead-everything-bk.132071/page-42#post-1836129

I bought an analog one off ebay, similar to this. How far outside of Philly are you? Bucks County area? I am 20 mins east of Lambertville, you are welcome to borrow mine if you want.

Thanks, Jeff! Actually, grew up in New Hope, but now I'm about an hour west of there.

Status
Not open for further replies.