1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Measuring stack temp and draft

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by eekster, Feb 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eekster

eekster New Member

Loc:
    southeast michigan
    I have read alot of you guys measuring stack temps. and draft. My question.. I have insulated pipe all the way to my boiler,
    I don"t think I should drill a hole to do my readings. Any suggestions? I am real curious on the temps and draft.
    Thanks, Keith

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. BrownianHeatingTech

BrownianHeatingTech Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwood, NH
    Carefully drill a hole, no bigger than you actually need for the probe of the draft gauge (the thermometer should be smaller), and get a bolt that you can twist into the hole to seal it when you aren't taking a measurement.

Joe
  3. eekster

eekster New Member

Loc:
    southeast michigan
    Joe, thanks for the suggestion, I presume you have done this before? Where is the best height to measure? I have a tee out of the back of the boiler and about 3 1/ 2 feet of pipe to the ceiling, 4 1/2 foot in the attic and and 9 ft. out the roof.
    Keith
  4. Nofossil

Nofossil Moderator Emeritus

Loc:
    Addison County, Vermont
    Keith, I've got insulated on mine as well, but there's about 3" of thimble on the back of the EKO before it goes into the stovepipe. I drilled a 1/8" hole there and stuck my probe in.
  5. BrownianHeatingTech

BrownianHeatingTech Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwood, NH
    As nofossil says, if you can do it right at the back of the boiler (before the tee), that would be best. If not, go a couple feet beyond the tee so that the turbulence the tee creates has a chance to subside.

Joe
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.