Measuring stove pipe temperature on top of chimney with data logger.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
After three months of burning I was wondering if my stack remained clean. The chimney (external double wall 15ft long and then 8 feet on the inside of the house, single wall) was very black on the outside of the hood.

I wasn´t expecting problems because my channel is pretty short.

Up on the roof I only found powdery stuff, so that´s ok. The blackness was the creosote that condensed on the outside, doesnt look pretty but no problem.

So I wasn´t burning to cool.

While I was up there I installed the temperature sensor for a wireless temperature logger. (http://www.arexx.com/templogger/index.htm). The probe has a limited range up to 257F or 125C.

Since creosote shouldn´t condense below 250F I could check if the stovepipe at least got hot enough.

Time to burn!

Within 10 minutes after starting the Oslo with kindling the probe went above 257 (at the top of the chimney that is)! The stovetop was at 200 at that moment.
After the kindling turned to ash (after 20 minutes of flame) it took another 1/2 hour until the chimney cooled enough to be in reach of the measuring device.

So how hot has the chimney been then? I haven´t got a clue.

To solve that puzzle I moved the probe from the inside of the channel to the outside of the inner tube, the temperatures are lower there so I can keep measuring at higher exhaust temps. I made a little tunnel in the insulating material and shoved the probe in.
Next I inserted a PT100 probe in the channel with a measuring device (non wireless) this device measures up to 500F but you have to be there to eyeball the measurements.
I lit the stove again and went up again.

It turned out that when the exhaust gasses reach 250 the probe in the insulation was still way below 200..
This time the measurents stayed below 250 much longer, Still, when burning at 200 stovetop, the temperature is way out of reach of the device in the insulation layer.

I´m going to experiment a little more when burning hardwood in a slow pace but I´m pretty sure there is a lot of heat in my chimney that I might be able to recover in a safe way.

Update:

After reducing the air with stovetop at 400 the temperature dropped quite a bit to 200 with the air fully closed.

The probe is not in physical contact with the inside layer of the pipe so I'm sure that the actual temperature is higher, but I was pretty surprised that the difference was so big.

Tommorow I'll post a graph.

Since creosote shouldn´t condense below 250F I could check if the stovepipe at least got hot enough.

Cool info on the remote wireless sensor. Boy are we getting techy here.

You did mean 'since creosote shouldn't condense above 250F', right?

Looking forward to the results from the datalogger.

Status
Not open for further replies.