1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

measuring wood/prices

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by cyclone, Mar 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cyclone

cyclone Member

Loc:
    North East Pennsylvania
    I know how much a cord of wood is, but is thre any way you can measure amount of wood (how much) by filling up your pick-up truck.

If so can you give bed size and amount that loaded with going price.

What is the going price of a chord of wood???

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. CrappieKeith

CrappieKeith New Member

Loc:
    Northern Mn.
    An 8 foot bed needs to be 4 foot high to make a cord.Usually a big heaping pile willl make a cord .
    I pay $110,but I've seen some going for up to 160$
  3. LLigetfa

LLigetfa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    A heaping pile without sideboards is about half a cord. If loose tossed, you need it to be a big heap, up to the top of the cab.
  4. CrappieKeith

CrappieKeith New Member

Loc:
    Northern Mn.
    Piles vary depending on how it is stacked or not.
    Once out of the truck...stack it 4 foot by 4 foot and see how long of a pile you'll make.
    Don't pay for it until it's stacked if you want to make sure your getting a cord.

My guy dumps 2 cord a load with his dump truck.He always gives me more than I pay for.
  5. LLigetfa

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    Do you mean like this guy's two cord?
    [​IMG]
  6. jadm

jadm New Member

Loc:
    colorado
    Woodheat.org has a page on 'What Is A Cord'. Lists and has pictures of all of the ways it can be measured.

I pay $185. for a cord of mixed hardwood. Most wood sellers sell for over $200. here but my guy still charges what he originally charged me when I first started buying from him.

If I want red oak the price jumps to $400 a cord.....Has to be shipped in....Needless to say, I only bought it once to see if it was worth all the extra money. It has lasted me 3 winters. Our temps. just haven't been that cold lately so I just use it sparingly on the really cold days and even then it gets mixed with the other hardwoods.
  7. Abhoth

Abhoth Member

Loc:
    Inland Northwest
    Simple measure that I use ... Measure your stack in inches H x W x L then divide that result by 1728 and that will give you your cubic footage of said stack. Thus, a cord is 48x48x96 = 221,184/1728 = 128 And, if you want to get tricky and you have pyramid stack of wood you just measure it out as if it were a square stack, then divide by 2 and there you have it.
    As far as cost around here ... it's a pretty wide range but I generally go for Red Fir from a new guy whose close and will deliver, $190 a cord. Or, if I want some excellent Birch I can get it for around $170 but I have to drive about 35 miles one-way and pick it up myself as delivery is too much of my money! But a lot of places in the area are starting to really jack it up... $220 to $280 a cord for much of their supply. Hardwoods you'll pay the high end there naturally... add tax and delivery for some of the places and it's getting pretty pricey!
  8. Bigg_Redd

Bigg_Redd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shelton, WA
    It's not possible to get a full cord into a standard long bed loose stacked.
  9. LLigetfa

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    That's why I said about a half cord.

A half cord is a heaping pile neatly piled or a BIG heaping pile if loose tossed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.