Mechanical Chimney Sweeper installed, no more climbing the roof in the winter!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mpilihp

Feeling the Heat
Apr 22, 2008
Coastal ME
Since installing a conventional wood boiler in place of our wood prior wood stove the number of cleaning went from twice a season to every 3 to 4 weeks. We have a cape and the roof is very steep and im not getting any younger so a machine to do what I dont want to was in order.

This setup is simple, got all supplies at Tractor Supply or Home Depot. THeres a crank handle in the basement and a pulley house on top of the chimney which a cable is run in a loop around the two ends with a brush connected to both ends of the cable. THE cable goes around the bottom drum a complete turn to give it grip on the cable.

Takes about 50 cranks to get it up to the top and another 50 back down, this will allow cleaning the chimney once a week and keep it complete clean.

This is the pulley house on the top, its just set on the ridge of the liner and held in place by the cable tension
CIMG2851.jpg"

This is the crank handle in the basement, its up off the floor which is nice, I had another opening in the chimney where our oil boiler used to be that I was able to use for access to connect the cabling up through.
CIMG2849.jpg"

Other side of the bottom shaft mount
CIMG2848.jpg"

Heres a overview of all the parts involved in it.
CIMG2819.jpg"

If you want to see detailed pictures of each part you can see all of the pictures at this link

http://s103.photobucket.com/albums/m132/mjenphil/Chimney Sweeper/

~ Phil

Nice Work
Looks well thought out.

Very functinal. You thought it out well.
If you build it, they will come.

we get people in centrl maine try to get those all the time. and some guy up north makes 'em, but we can never find them out there... you could make some $ mfgring a few of those rigs... i hear the guy up north gets $280 per unit.

LADYGO DIVA said:
wonder if the Magic Heat Reclaimer will act as a cold conductor so to effect fluegas cooling & enhanced creo deposits in chimni via cooled,diminished draft= less pollution 2

=thought you could answer your own question me thinx

Creative work mpilihp. If your smart enough to come up with that idea, then I am sure you will monitor how it holds up to make the appropriate changes. One question is, do you have a liner and is it insulated? Just thought on improving on less deposits.
N of 60

EDIT: AH I just re-read it. It sits just at the edge of the LINER. Is it insulated?

Hi all thanks for your comments, its not perfect but I modeled it after a co-worker whos home made unit has been in for over 15 years and still works. Granted his has stainless steel cable and mine isnt (I couldnt find a source without buying way more than I needed.)

In response to some of your comments:

Ladygodiva - If the cable breaks I can either pull it down or up from the other side of the brush that it didnt break off of, yes will probably mean a trip up the roof to clear it out of the way but least Im not going up ever 3-4 weeks.

Summit - I inquired about that guy that makes/installs them in northern maine, hes from Fort Kent and charges $450 for one installed, least down my way must be charging extra for travel. He has a nice setup but way to much for my pocket book, my setup was less than $80, with the brush.

North 0f 60 - THanks for the complement, no not that smart just smart enough to copy someone elses work! I have an extra opening in my chimney with a blank that I can take off to inspect the cable now and again. The chimney is inside and does have a liner, the liner was the hardest part to drill through. When you say insulated do you mean actual insulation around the chimney inside??

Madrone - If I get really lazy and really really bored.......

~ Phil

So is there an open bottom "Tee" at the base of your SS liner which the cable runs through and the brush sits under?

Hi Sorry I guess I didnt understand what northof60 ment by having a liner, I have a tile liner, not stainless steel.

I have seen a setup for stainless lined chimneys and the brush ends up staying in the pulley house in the top. Not sure how you get the mechanics set up and installed in the bottom though.

~ Phil

Hi Thanks for the tip Ill look into it.

HUH...I think that's a great idea, never knew they had anything like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.