Mechanical Pop

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oink Oink

Oct 9, 2011
North East CT
Every once and awhile I hear a mechanical pop within my stove. Is this some thing I should be worried about? My brother says that he thinks it is the metal expanding and contracting, which sounds like BS to me.

Sometimes I hear a 'pop' or 'bang' too. I always attributed it to a long pellet getting chopped off in the auger or something...

AVIVIII said:
Sometimes I hear a 'pop' or 'bang' too. I always attributed it to a long pellet getting chopped off in the auger or something...

Me Too...I think that's what you are hearing. I also hear the stove expanding and contracting but that isn't loud enough to be considered a "mechanical pop."

Oink Oink on my Quadrafire Castile I sometimes hear a snapping sound that I believe is coming from the occasional pellet that is to long and as they enter the augur they are just getting crunched.

Your stove has a sliding gate that allows pellets to drop into the feed, pellets can get crushed in there, some of the Harman's will make some funny sounds because of the chain drive for the feed system being too tight or too loose. The chain tries to jump off the drive sprockets.

My thoughts were it might be the auger chopping up longer pellets. I have been burning north americans for shoulder season. Was burning vermonts before that. Ill have to compare the two when I get home. Guess there's no way to figure out who is correct my brother or me.

if the noise becomes very regular (happens consistently when auger turns) it usually means you have forgotten to clean the "fines box" on the feeder body and its causing the slide plate to jam up and the cam arm on the feeder body will skip making the banging noise. the random bang is usually the slide plate chopping a pellet.

Delta-T said:
if the noise becomes very regular (happens consistently when auger turns) it usually means you have forgotten to clean the "fines box" on the feeder body and its causing the slide plate to jam up and the cam arm on the feeder body will skip making the banging noise. the random bang is usually the slide plate chopping a pellet.

I'm new to this game, how do I clean the fines box?

I'm gonna go ahead and assume it is in the same place as my P68..... Check your owners manual...

As you are looking at the stove from the front, take off the bottom right access panel. To do that, loosen (do not remove) the two screws with a flat head screw driver, the panel will slide out toward you, away from the stove.

Look up inside, you should see a silver (mine is silver) plate being held in place by a wing nut. Remove the wing nut, remove the place and if your vacuum is small enough, vacuum it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.