Medium or Large Wood Insert for my Living Room?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eapiel

Jan 16, 2007
Looking at putting an insert into our preway zero clearance fireplace in our main living room. The fireplace is centrally located in our living room is approximately 700 square feet with vaulted ceilings that slope from 8' on one end all the way to 22 feet on the other. Our dining room and kitchen are behind me in the picture with standard 8 foot ceilings. Above the living room on the second floor are 2 standard sized bedrooms. Along the wall on the right those sliding glass doors continue along the length of the wall all the way across. Makes for a great view of the woods but heat loss is a concern. House could be considered reasonably well insulated but the living room stays several degrees cooler than the rest of the house due to the vaulted ceilings. Natural gas is our default heating source.

Using our inefficient, wood eating but asthetically pleasing zero clearance fireplace burning seasoned oak, cherry and hickory I was able to heat all five rooms comfortably. OAT last night was 18 deg F and the living room was 71 degrees. This is of course was with a cranking open door fire and ceiling fan. I have access to plenty of free wood here in Western Michigan on our property and the neighborhood. I am planning an insert install, most likely Pacific Energy Pacific or Summit based on the reviews here. My goal is to heat those five rooms mentioned to the low to mid 70's and hopefully get overnight burns.

I called a few local dealers for price quotes and one cautioned against too big an insert, namely the Summit versus the Pacific. Based on my setup, will I cook us out of the house with a summit? I want to get as big a firebox as possible for longer burns.
Also we get a noticeable smoky smell from the open door fires, will the "closed" system of an insert alleviate this?

I am planning a complete DIY install to include an insulated SS liner (metal interior chimney is 20 feet) and comply with all the manual requirements. Which brings me to my biggest concern. What if I do the entire job, schedule an inspection from the township and I draw a character like Elk? I know he is banned from this site, but he said in his tenure he passed only one "zero clearance install" and that was one too many. If I DIY, do I need an inspection? Seems I should go interview the township inspector now and "get a feel" for his requirements since they are subject to so much individual whims before I get started.

Attachments

• IMG_1780A.jpg
    IMG_1780A.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 461
I'm by no means an expert on this subject, but what I seem to read again and again is that bigger is usually better, especially if you're going to heat the whole house. You don't want to end up with the Pacific and find that it's not enough. Better safe than sorry. Also the bigger Summitt will give you a better overnight burn due to the size of the firebox. Although the Summit is a monster, but I don't have any experience with that particular insert. How many sq feet is the whole house?

Good luck!

You should get a permit. Usually they want to see the specs of the install so bring a copy with you. Have a discussion with the inspector as per any other items he would want to see in the install. Most of them are easy to get along with as long as you do it their way.

Good luck and welcome aboard!

Is the PE line ZC rated?? Not sure if it is or not, perhaps Tom will chime in.

Thanks for the quick replies...

Whole house, not including partially finished basement downstairs, is approx 2400 sq feet. The area upstairs and down stairs I am trying to heat is 1400 sq feet on the main level, 800 of which is the vaulted ceilings, and roughly another 400 square feet upstairs. There is also a master bedroom on the other side of the wall from the picture but it only one standard 30 inch door opening on from the living room to that bedroom. That bedroom is about 600 square feet but so far draws little heat from the main living area.

Based on what I have read here so far and additional dealer feedback, I think I will be okay with the Summit. Got a quote for just under 2200 for gold door, standard surround, and blower, I pickup and install. 200 less for the Pacific.

I had a home similar to this, it was a cape cod, vaulted ceiling in living room, open to dining room, kitchen, and foyer, and two bedrooms and a bath right upstairs with a loft/walkway going across. I say go with the summit, especially if your home sq. ft. is 2000 or better.

your upstairs rooms will get plenty warm though, for sure.

have any ceiling fans in there?

I just lookead at your pic again, looks like a ceiling fan blade sticking out there at the top, that'd be real good for moving air around in there. We got 2 of 'em in our great room of our new home, both set to pull air up from the floor, both runnin 24/7.

Status
Not open for further replies.