MEECO red devil creosote destroyer? Or something similar

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

shredit

Nov 10, 2017
Bonner , Idaho
I've had to burn some slightly green tamarack in my stove this season. It was cut down green in march, split and stacked in the sun the rest of the year and started burning in November. It tested below 20% with a meter but was still very heavy and pitchy so I'm worried about creosote build up....other than what I just stated let's please not turn this into a thread about burning green wood. Like I said I did what I had to do and know it's not ideal. So moving on... I've found a product called MEECO red devil creosote destroyer which has good reviews and seems popular online. I'm wondering if this or anything similar is effective in loosening creosote to make sweeping easier? And if it has any negative effects on stoves (I have a 2017 BKP). I'm not looking for something to replace sweeping, I'm going to sweep this weekend and wondering if something like this would aid in removing creosote efficiently or if it would just be a waste of money. Thanks!

I haven’t tried that product but have tried two others that really didn’t seem to do anything that I could tell. I have used that brand of glass cleaner and that worked good so the creosote remover might work.

If the installation is good then there shouldn't be a need for this product. Nothing should be used without first checking with Blaze King. You don't want to contaminate the cat.

Do the sweep this weekend and take before and after pictures of the chimney at the top. Hopefully all you will find is brown fluffy stuff.