Meet me at the Bar

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mayhem

Minister of Fire
May 8, 2007
Saugerties, NY
Took down a couple last minute pre-hurricane trees that were weak and creaking alot on low winds...figured I ought to drop em where I wanted them instead of letting Irene cushion their fall with my truck.

Sadly, the third one spun as it dropped and took my saw with it. It spun off the stump, saw was bound up in the cut and the sucker dropped straight down to the ground, pounding a 6" diameter hole about 3-4" deep...with my nice shiny 20" Husqvarna "Farm Tough" bar under it. Needless to say, the bar now describes a wonderful arc. The sprocket os locked tight and I think the bar is toast, so its time to stick a crowbar in my wallet and bet a new one.

Other than the removable sprocket tips, does anyone have any specific likes or recommendations? I cna get the Husqvrna 20" bar locally for $50.

Husqvarna 359, bar was a 72DL, .058" gauge, 3/8 pitch. I have one good 20" chain still and the 20" length seems to work well for me. The manly man in me wants to put a 24" bar on there, but it'll be heavy impractical in the wood I cut, which rarely exceeds 18-20"...and would probably hit the ground alot more than I'd care for.

Thoughts?

If sprocket has wear on it I would go ahead and move to 0.50 chain. You got to buy the bar anyways. ;-) If not stay with the same

Now We need Picks on this one? ;-)

Oregon Pro-Lite- 20" .050 gauge 78 drive links is around $37 + postage at TreeStuff.com.I actually prefer the Power Match Plus bars,but I dont see any listed for your Husky 359.

Baileys should be within a couple bucks I imagine.

The sprocket is locked tight and is not removable anyway. Why go with the skinnier chain?

Picks?

+1 on going to the .050" chain. I find the removable sprocket tips on the bar to be a useless feature. (at least for me) I've never had a bar outlast the nose sprocket yet and for the cost/hassle of replacing the nose, I'd just as soon have a new bar. That said, my bar on the Stihl IS a replacable nose type but only because I prefer the wider nose profile for plunge cutting.

And yeah, give us pics! We love destruction!

mayhem said:
The sprocket is locked tight and is not removable anyway. Why go with the skinnier chain?

Picks?

Pictures. Narrow kerf makes the saw a little faster, and your at the point that it just maybe worth it!

Any downside to the smaller chain? Why do they use .325 pitch on the smaller saws? I'd love for all three saws to use the same chain and set up on the grinder.

SolarAndWood said:
Any downside to the smaller chain? Why do they use .325 pitch on the smaller saws? I'd love for all three saws to use the same chain and set up on the grinder.

I use to think like that until the 192t with the .043 picco chain!(kinda like a moped)lol But did set the 880/460 to run the same wheel.

so do you really need anything between the 30cc and 70cc saw? Those are some big jumps in your lineup no?

SolarAndWood said:
so do you really need anything between the 30cc and 70cc saw? Those are some big jumps in your lineup no?

I dont! Been there done that! 192t and 460 theres not much else you will need. Unless its a hardwood over 50 inch. Other than gas....lol Between me and MMAUL and our 1 gallon cans go quick in the 880!

smokinjay said:
Between me and MMAUL and our 1 gallon cans go quick in the 880!

I noticed that with the 95 in that Oak. Makes a big difference. Thanks for the insight and my apologies to Mayhem for the hijack. I use a 20" bar 99.9% of the time. I have a 24" bar and would not want it as my primary firewood saw.

OK, so the .050 bar sounds like it might be the better choice for me in the 20" replacement. I'll lose $40 worth of chains by switching the gauge, but its probably better now than later when I have a few more loops.

Be lucky if the crank didn’t bend…

No chance of this. The bar is bent about 2/3 of the way to the tip and its only maybe 8-10 degrees off true. The whole rear 2/3 of the bar is still straight, but with the sprocket locked tight its probably not worth the time to try and straighten it. I'll grab photos and post them...not really all that exciting to look at though.

Back to your original question, I run mostly Carlton bars and am happy with them, especially the ones made by Tsumara.

smokinjay said:
SolarAndWood said:

I dont! Been there done that! 192t and 460 theres not much else you will need. Unless its a hardwood over 50 inch. Other than gas....lol Between me and MMAUL and our 1 gallon cans go quick in the 880!

Holy cow Jay, that is a small can for those saws! Why not get a decent size so you don't have to run to the gas station so often?

I'm guessing he fills his 1 gal can from a 5 gal. Even filling a saw from a 2.5 gal can is clumsy, let alone trying that with a 5 gal.

The promised carnage photos. Like I said, not too ugly considering the full weight of a tree dropped right on it...but with the sprocket locked up tight too its probably toast.

Anyone think its worth the effort of trying to straighten it?

Attachments

• IMG00298-20110831-1837.jpg
    IMG00298-20110831-1837.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG00297-20110831-1836.jpg
    IMG00297-20110831-1836.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 156
mayhem said:
The promised carnage photos. Like I said, not too ugly considering the full weight of a tree dropped right on it...but with the sprocket locked up tight too its probably toast.

Not so farm tough now....It could be straighten but way beyond me...

Backwoods Savage said:
smokinjay said:
SolarAndWood said:

Holy cow Jay, that is a small can for those saws! Why not get a decent size so you don't have to run to the gas station so often?

I have a 2-1/2 and two 5 gallon cans....Times is tough around here! We seem to do alot of damage with 2 full gallons though. (Rare) ;-) A good day is opening up the 880 with a full tank (even more rare)

Give us a 5 gallon can and a tent and some food its hard telling what could happen... :lol:

mayhem said:

No

And I've seen way worse than that. :lol:

wendell said:
mayhem said:

No

And I've seen way worse than that. :lol:

Nope. Get a new bar,much less hassle & effort than trying to salvage that boomerang lol

I've seen much worse too :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.