Melted clutch cover on Husky 350 Help!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelthomas

Hearth Supporter
Feb 10, 2006
I couldn't get the chain brake to disengage the other day and after prying the clutch cover off I found that the clutch cover was melting, the plastic around the brake band was melting. Was the brake engaged at some point while I was using it to cause this? I can't imagine that I would have tried to use it with the brake on? Is this a routine replacement part? If I buy a new clutch cover will it come with the brake band or do I need to buy that seperately? Could the clutch have been stuck thus causing the friction and heat. It seems to spin just fine?

Huh? I've never known of that to happen ...but with moving parts anything is possible. We were always taught to disassemble the saws and blow out 'everything' with compressed air after a hard days use...then have a good look see. I supposed you could have drawn in some barbed wire while cutting hedge row trees. Must have been hard to get that cover off with the brake on?

I'm almost positive the side cover comes complete with the brake. My 272xp got quick to lock up and when I made an inquiry they said I could order a new side cover. I declined mostly cause this annoyance has cause me to become more deliberate and I can live with that.

You might check w/ some of the saw tech types over on arboristsite, but my recollection is that this is something that is a known issue with that model Husky - is the saw still under warranty? Might be worth talking to your dealer in any case to find out just what is needed to make a repair and keep it from repeating...

Again, just my recollection (I didn't pay a lot of attention since I don't own one) but I think they said part of the cause was that the saw was set up overly lean from the factory (Thanks EPA! :mad: ) causing it to run excessively hot, cure was to pull the adjustment screw limiters and richen up the mix...

Gooserider

The problem with the 350's is where the brake handle attaches to the case. This is also where the return spring is mounted. Heat from the muffler melts right through the case and into the spring mount. I can post a picture of one I have on the bench later tonight or tomorrow.

^ OK Now I can visualize the problem....thanks Jack. Does the muffler always run that hot or is this the result of a dirty filter...just asking cause I dunno. If it were my saw and there was no factory fix I'd either get another saw or mount some fabricated deflector shield out of flashing. Surprised to hear that Husky would design something like that.

The good and the bad...

Attachments

• Husky350.01.JPG
    Husky350.01.JPG
    120.3 KB · Views: 499
  • Husky350.02.JPG
    Husky350.02.JPG
    137.3 KB · Views: 821
  • Husky350.03.JPG
    Husky350.03.JPG
    119.8 KB · Views: 978
fyrwoodguy said:
the pic's explain the muffler bolt fell out?(or loosened up) ....and melted the crankcase.

Nope, unless someone replaced the jug already and who would do that with the case obviously junk? The muffler holes are ok and that cylinder will be going on the good case.

Status
Not open for further replies.