Melted furnace back

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
it melted? How and where did it melt? I have seen some serious warping and distortion on coal stoves with out a baro damper but never what i would call melting

Might have been rusting in that spot first. It sounds like this box needs to be put out to pasture.

No haven't heard of one melting.

My FIL burned through a few cheap steel stoves. A combination of burning all household junk plus thin steel which eventually made holes. When visiting in the winter, I always sat near the doorway in case I had to run outside fast. I would not call it 'melted', just abused.

I've seen one osburn with a majority sagged steel baffle plate in the firebox and I've melted a thin firebox part on the nc30 but burning a hole in the stove is not a melting problem. It is a corrosion problem.

Reactions: lindnova
My stove installer was telling me that he had a client warping stoves every 2-3 months. My buddy would get a call from this guy saying that the stove was deffective, warped plates, etc.
putt
The installer drove by his house one time and noticed a thick black smoke coming from the chimney. He pulled over, went in the house and was caught by surprise: the guy was cutting up used tires with a band saw and putting the pieces of tire in the stove!

Yeah, the stove components did melt.

Andrew

At this point I haven't even heard of one melting. What I have seen is somebody stop in to ask if we have seen one melted. I have never seen a Zombie or the far side of Mars either.

Reactions: bioman
At this point I haven't even heard of one melting. What I have seen is somebody stop in to ask if we have seen one melted. I have never seen a Zombie or the far side of Mars either.

Stop by Walmart this week . . . you'll almost be guaranteed to spot a Zombie or two (you'll recognize them by their vacant look on their face), whale out of water (they tend to travel in pods on motorized carts) and if you're extremely unlucky you may not see the far side of Mars, but you may get a glimpse of a full moon. :)

image.jpg

I never burned anything in the stove that should not be there. I have plenty of nice hardwoods, mostly, oak. It seems like it rusted and melted. I don't have any moisture problems in my basement. Seemed simple get the fire going up to about 550, then bank it good choke it down. A fire would usually last all night. I thought this seemed like a decent product but who knows?

Disclaimer: I know nothing.
Shouldn't there be fire bricks at the bottom? I assume we're looking at the bottom! Burning right on a steel plate is not gonna work out well in the long run. Even if it didn't come with fire bricks, I would have put a layer in plus an inch of ashes.
Even in dry wood, there is still lots of moisture. When my meter reads 20%, which is what you want as the max for burning on average, that means 20% of the wood is moisture - at least that's what I have been lead to believe - see disclaimer. Add to that the corrosive stuff left over from burning.
I thought US Stoves were made in China or at least with Chinese steel. Some of the Chinese steel is not good and contains too many by products. At least, so I have read but don't believe anything on the internet these days.::P
If you are wanting a cheap fix, you should be able to weld a heavy steel plate at the bottom (once it's cleaned) and it'll probably be good for another 5-10 yrs.

Disclaimer: I know nothing.
Shouldn't there be fire bricks at the bottom? I assume we're looking at the bottom! Burning right on a steel plate is not gonna work out well in the long run. Even if it didn't come with fire bricks, I would have put a layer in plus an inch of ashes.
Even in dry wood, there is still lots of moisture. When my meter reads 20%, which is what you want as the max for burning on average, that means 20% of the wood is moisture - at least that's what I have been lead to believe - see disclaimer. Add to that the corrosive stuff left over from burning.
I thought US Stoves were made in China or at least with Chinese steel. Some of the Chinese steel is not good and contains too many by products. At least, so I have read but don't believe anything on the internet these days.::P
If you are wanting a cheap fix, you should be able to weld a heavy steel plate at the bottom (once it's cleaned) and it'll probably be good for another 5-10 yrs.

You know more than I do. I thought it was a pic of the far side of Mars for Brother Bart.;)

If you get inferior metal too hot you can change the crystalline strucure of the metal and weaken it to the point where it will crack or corrode if moisture condenses during cooling. Acidic burn content on inferior metal or metal damaged as above will do the same.

It rusted and oxidized, not melted. Don't burn any more in this firebox. It is shot.

It rusted and oxidized, not melted. Don't burn any more in this firebox. It is shot.

Yep. These things don't last forever and with coal in there it is a tough environment.

Coal was burned in the stove a handful of times. I have the feeling this might along the same pattern as Chinese dog food. I contacted us stove company and they have been very helpful. They having their engineering dept look at my pictures.

What is the age of this stove?

Yeah it is toast time to scrap it and get something else

Coal was burned in the stove a handful of times. I have the feeling this might along the same pattern as Chinese dog food. I contacted us stove company and they have been very helpful. They having their engineering dept look at my pictures.
Coal generates an acidic waste and, combined with poor metal quality and heat, probably caused the spot corrosion and the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.