Memorial Day Morning - What a sight to see...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jags

Moderate Moderator
Staff member
Hearth Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Northern IL
Woke up on Memorial Day to see this in my front yard (cabin). I couldn't think of a more fitting image. This one just seemed to be walking around enjoying the view.

You can see just how close he was because the lawn chairs were set around my fire ring. Bad cell phone pics, but you get the idea.
baldy1.JPG
baldy3.JPG

Went for a nice toon ride that day - the baldys were out in full force - I can only assume in support of those that have fallen (or at least that is what I was telling myself). I would estimate about 16 different birds in just a few hours.

Snapped this one of Challenger at Arlington Memorial Day 2001.

eagleinflight.jpg

Reactions: Mellery and Jags
I watched another on the same day that pulled a small snake from the water for lunch. To me that is one of the most majestic sights mother nature has to offer.

Unless you are the snake. ;lol

Reactions: firefighterjake
In one nest across the road from me on the back 40 in the top of an old white pine, overlooking a couple hundred acres of swamp and cedar / black spruce bog, every year there's a couple new additions. Very cool to walk back there and watch the parent(s) bring home supper for the young'uns. Walking down the trail and one glides up from behind about 15 ' overhead - don't know they're checking you out until the shadow covers you for a sec.

Aren't you glad they didn't choose the turkey for the national bird?;lol I haven't seen as many this year yet ... just as well as that means the cats are safe:)

A lady down on the next lake was watching an eagle fishing a few years back ... it misjudged badly and near drowned itself in the cold early spring water. She apparently was able to get it into the boat then into the house (crazy) where it had a chance to dry out and warm up. Apparently didn't freak out while inside and just wandered out the door when it was ready.

Sad to say, I didn't uphold the family honour. Growing up on Lake Erie, the first swim of the year was always Memorial Day weekend. It's actually how and when I met my hubby many years ago... Put my feet in the water this year and said "Nope, not happening, far enough!"

Reactions: begreen and Jags
Status
Not open for further replies.