Menards Splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd hit it. But would check on how much the hydro oil was gonna cost me first.

Looks pretty generic, just about like all the other splitters in the price class, where or who does the warranty work in your area is always the big question because Menard's doesn't. Having to ship it somewhere or drag it 50 miles makes for a deal breaker in my book.

Blains farm or Mills farm stores have hydro oil on sale about $40/ 5gal has hydro oil on sale at present about $40 for 5gal pail. All purpose or tractor-tranny/hydro either would work fine. TSC likely does as well. AW32- AW50 will work fine.

I have the splitter and it works good for me. I got mine on a different deal. It was on sale for
$899 minus a $200 in-store credit that I used right away for a new dishwasher.

one guess whats in the box.

IMG_20141025_193924.jpg

Reactions: Danno77
Had a hell of a time getting it off the truck myself, damn thing weighs a ton. Hope it isnt hard to put together, not to keen on having to assemble it. I always have parts and pieces left over and by the time i realize where they go i've usually lost them.

Had a hell of a time getting it off the truck myself, damn thing weighs a ton. Hope it isnt hard to put together, not to keen on having to assemble it. I always have parts and pieces left over and by the time i realize where they go i've usually lost them.
The worst of it is you'll need help to lift the cylinder onto the base. The engine needs to be put on and the wheels also.
Then attach the hoses and fill the fluids. The whole thing tips the scales at a little over 500 pounds so yes it's heavy metal!

Last edited:
Were you trying to save the crate for something? I just knock crated equipment crates flat. That way I do not need to lift/move stuff around so much.

Reactions: triptester
Heres my thoughts after using this splitter all day today. I wish the wedge would go about an inch closer to the wedge plate instead of stopping so far back, that sucks on stringy wood. I wish the cycle period was just a tad bit faster, i got spoiled on that iron & oak i rented in spring. I don't care much for the cylinder lever, wish you had more to grab onto than that thin little lever. I'll probably add a ball or some type T handle to that eventually. Doesnt seem to want to start, even if its warm unless you choke it, then it starts one pull.
Bogged down on some nasty rounds but split everything i threw at it, was quieter than i expected. Made in china so i don't fully trust it
Overall im pleased with what i got for $800.

Status
Not open for further replies.