Mendota, delay in turn on/off

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jane02556

Oct 31, 2013
Cape cod
My friend called this morning and said his Mendota insert would not turn on, then after about 5 minutes, it did and ran fine. Then when he went to turn it off, it didnt, he called me for help as he is almost 90 years old. As we were talking, it turned off. About 5 or 10 minute delay.
Batteries in remote are OK, and there is no wind this morning here on Cape Cod.
Thanks in advance,
Jane

His son in law supposedly put in new batteries, but I think I better have my husband bring some new batteries anyway.
Last year, his son in law did re-arrange the logs after he was told not to. But the people who installed it, did a service call, after I notified them, and it has been running fine till this morning.
Yes, we will arrive with new batteries soon as we can get to his house. Thank you.

There is a problem with"new" batteries. You have NO idea how long thay've been sitting on a shelf - either in a warehouse or in the store.
Before you install them, TEST them. Use a multitester set to volts DC. That is the ONLY way to confirm their charges...Make sure the voltage is actually higher than they are rated for. Most remotes are VERY sesitive to even minimal voltage drops....

I will have my husband bring his battery tester with us. Or buy some new ones at Radio Shack and have them tested before we install them.
Our Comcast remote is the most rugged and abused remote in the world, but it never gave up. But I can certainly see how one of these is far more delicate and important.

Im not sure of the purchase date nor the model #, but my husband will be there Saturday and will start off with new batteries.
I will see if I can find the inst manual, which he claims he cant find.
Then if we dont get good results with the batteries, we will call the installer's repair dept, its a close by company.
Thank you for the advice, Im pretty sure its a battery problem too.

Status
Not open for further replies.