mendota fireplace (gas) inserts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

carcie

Jan 4, 2007
Great forum!

I am looking into putting in a gas fireplace insert, Mendota, the '40. Would love to hear any opinions or information. One question would be about the doors--are they necessary? Or just cosmetic? Any suggestions for questions to ask before a final decision? Price quoted seems fair--3500 (less if no doors) + gas installation. Not sure how much the latter will cost, though, and will have to factor that in.

I sold Mendota for years - great stuff - really cranks out the heat and looks great. Make certain you can use all those BTU's. That is quite a bit of heat.

Back in the old days they have only one or two door styles. Of course, these are not real doors - just decorative faces. They should have an option that allows you to get just a large glass front with either black or brass vents.

Thank you for infomation.We have 3400 sq. ft.open area room to room.Did Mendota have any problem factor? We are looking for trouble free,as possible,low maintanence insert that will provide heat as needed.The units are nice looking and appear well constructed.

Help! I clicked the link to NOT receive notification of messages. Tried to fix same, and hope I did! Is there a way to verify?

We have natural gas here, so that is what would power our insert.

Can you suggest a range of reasonable for gas installation? That is the only mystery remaining in the price for us.

Thanks, again!

The Mendota is one of the best. But, as Craig said, they put out a lot of heat. Make sure you want the heat.

We can't really be of much help on the gas line installation charges. Plumber rates are based on local phenomenons. Try calling your gas company and ask if they have a list of qualified plumbers you can start calling.

Also, did you get a price for installation of the unit and venting system? Or, was that included in the price of the insert?

The price quoted by one was inclusive basically a" turnkey" operation -everything complete.The second quote was not inclusive of the gas line.It was install,vent but would bring in another party for gas line.Will know Tues. re: cost.Thanks for taking time to answer our questions.

For what it's worth, we're in the process of getting a gas stove installed and we got a price for installation plus $15/foot for running the gas line. Hope that helps.

Kathy in Colorado

Status
Not open for further replies.