Mendota FV44i. Whoosh on startup

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Swampy2012

Dec 20, 2016
Ct.
Hello,
What a wonderful site, and thanks to all of you who share your knowledge. I have a question on a recently installed Medota FV44I. Insert converted to LP. When the unit ignites, there is a very audible WHOOSH sound( propane igniting ), sometimes two in a row ( both burners ), to the point where it is rattling the front metal frame, or skirt so we hear a little clanking metal on occasion also. Our concerns are a build up of LP prior to igniting, and this has really become an issue with the lady of the house, who now dosent want to use the 2 month old insert. Has anyone ever heard of this, or seen this, and is it dangerous ? Is there a fix for this ? Thank You.

The problem with LP is that it is heavier than air & it'll "puddle" below the burner until it reaches the pilot flame. That's where your "whoosh" originates. Sometimes having a knowledgeable tech add another hole (burner port) to the burner - CLOSER to the pilot - can help. Whether or not you want to do it is up to you. The additional hole needs to be the same diameter as the others.

Or it's possible that a log is out of place or possibly too many embers on the burner. Has it always had this problem or did it just develop?

The company that installed it should be able to make a house call for free since it's less than a year old.

Status
Not open for further replies.