Mendota Propane

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cuznvin

Nov 5, 2011
Long Island
Any ideas as to why my Mendota propane fireplace would keep shutting off after a few minutes? Everything turns off including the pilot.. I believe it in the Greenbriar, but not totally sure. I think this will be our 3rd season with it.

I would start with the venting...Bees maybe?
Once again, the way to test the vent is to take
the glass off & run it for a VERY SHORT TIME.
If it keeps running, it's gonna be something in the
intake or exhaust, providing of course this is a DV
unit & not a B-Vent...
Anyway, don't run it for any extended period of time
with the glass off, as the CO emissions can & will be deadly...

We just had it running for like 8 hours the other day, so im leaning towards something else. Hopefully one of the guys installing our pellet stove on Monday can check it for us. COuld it be the thermocouple?

cuznvin said:
Any ideas as to why my Mendota propane fireplace would keep shutting off after a few minutes? Everything turns off including the pilothh. I believe it in the Greenbriar, but not totally sure. I think this will be our 3rd season with it.

Two things will cause that. Ghosting which is a venting issue. Does the flame turn blue and swirl around? Lift off the burners? That is ghosting. The second thing is that there is too much draft blowing up around the pilot and it is lifting the flame off the thermocouple. Do you have a long vertacle rise? If so there is a draft restrictor on top of the unit. The way I adjust that one on a Greenbriar is by starting with a cold fireplace. Remove the top screen. Loosen the screw on the restrictor just enough to allow the handle to turn with a little force. Start the fireplace with both burners on. Turn the restrictor until the unit just starts to ghost. Tighten the screw without turning the handle. A long pair of needle nose will help. There is also a heavy duty thermocouple available for propane. That will also help.

Brad

IronFire said:
cuznvin said:
Any ideas as to why my Mendota propane fireplace would keep shutting off after a few minutes? Everything turns off including the pilothh. I believe it in the Greenbriar, but not totally sure. I think this will be our 3rd season with it.

Two things will cause that. Ghosting which is a venting issue. Does the flame turn blue and swirl around? Lift off the burners? That is ghosting. The second thing is that there is too much draft blowing up around the pilot and it is lifting the flame off the thermocouple. Do you have a long vertacle rise? If so there is a draft restrictor on top of the unit. The way I adjust that one on a Greenbriar is by starting with a cold fireplace. Remove the top screen. Loosen the screw on the restrictor just enough to allow the handle to turn with a little force. Start the fireplace with both burners on. Turn the restrictor until the unit just starts to ghost. Tighten the screw without turning the handle. A long pair of needle nose will help. There is also a heavy duty thermocouple available for propane. That will also help.

Brad

Thank you!! Believe or not it started working just fine on its own...weird...

IronFire said:
cuznvin said:
Thank you!! Believe or not it started working just fine on its own...weird...

Is it still working?

Brad

The pilot is still lit, but we havent really used it because we got a pellet stove....

Status
Not open for further replies.