Meridian Wood Stove Not Heating Home

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Justgreateh

Dec 7, 2016
Ontario canada
Hello,

We recently re-installed my dad's meridian wood stove into our new house and it isnt heating our home like it should.

This stove was in my parents house for years and heated their 2500.s/ft home on cold winter days. They removed the stove due to renos and stored the stove in their garage for 8-10 years. It was subject to plenty of temperature fluctuation (+30 to -30 celcius).

Once we finally moved the stove to its final resting place (my new home) We realized it wasn't heating our 1500 s/f home. We replaced the seal around the inside of the door, re-mortered the outside of the door and replaced the chimney completely.

There seems to be cracks on the outside of the tiles that run the side of the stove and the inside you can see the metal clamps that hooks the chimney to the stove which sucks in air. (hope that makes sense!!).

Do you know what type of cement we could use to do the patch work on the inside and outside of the stove? also, Do you think that is where our problem lies?

Thanks, glad I found this forum!!!

The most common reason for poor heating is wood that has not seasoned fully. If wood is damp on the interior it will not produce much heat. The second most common issue is a chimney that is too short or too large in diameter.

Assuming the stove is ok, how dry is the wood at it's core? How tall is the flue on the stove?

The most common reason for poor heating is wood that has not seasoned fully. If wood is damp on the interior it will not produce much heat. The second most common issue is a chimney that is too short or too large in diameter.

Assuming the stove is ok, how dry is the wood at it's core? How tall is the flue on the stove?

The wood was seasoned, but we do think it is wet and not cured fully. the stove is not completely seal and we were wondering if anyone knew what to fix the ceramic stove with. We just had a while whole new chimney put in which is very tall.

There seems to be cracks on the outside of the tiles that run the side of the stove and the inside you can see the metal clamps that hooks the chimney to the stove which sucks in air. (hope that makes sense!!).

Do you know what type of cement we could use to do the patch work on the inside and outside of the stove? also, Do you think that is where our problem lies?
begreen, any recommendations?

I don't think either issue is the cause of poor heating. With a tall chimney the obvious suspect is the wood.

Does the fire burn poorly? Is it hard to start? The other thing I wonder about is whether the stove had an outside air connection when it was installed in your dad's house? Could this be blocked? Did they use 8" stove pipe and chimney for the new installation? Did they include the stove pipe damper just above the stove?

These are quite special stoves. I don't know what was used to bond the tile on the exterior. On the interior it's not clear to me what needs patching. The stove is supposed to be made of cast refractory, so I would think refractory cement would be appropriate, but never having seen one of these stoves in person that is just a guess.

Edit: further investigation came up with this maintenance document - attached

Attachments

• Meridian Stove - Easy Maintenance Instructions.pdf
    673.8 KB · Views: 241
That was posted somewhere on the forum wasn't it? I recall seeing it now. Glad you added it to the wiki for the Meridians:)

Yes, there are a few Meridian threads here. One has a lot of documentation attached.

Status
Not open for further replies.