merrimack flue opening position

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have a Merimack, so bumping to see if we can get an owner to respond. According to the manual the air control should be all the way to the left to be fully open. There is also an automatic setback shutter that will admit more air if you move it hard to the left, then let it spring back to fully open position. This sounds like it will cock open an shutter to admit more air for starting. It should close automatically. This is from the manual:

The automatic setback air control is used when starting or reviving a fire and provides an increased flow of combustion air to the fire until the firebox is sufficiently heated. This air supply automatically resets to the desired air setting, taking the guesswork out of operating the stove.
Figure 9 shows the automatic setback control. Move the primary air control lever all the way to the left. Push the primary control about one more inch to the left to open the air shutter (the lever will spring back automatically when released). The shutter will remain open only if the stove is below its proper operating temperature. Once open, the primary air control lever may be adjusted to any desired position. Once the stove heats up to its proper operating temperature, you will here a clicking sound confirming the shutter has closed. This returns the stove to the output setting of the primary air control.

Also, it's OK to crack the door open a little to supply more air to the fire to get it started too. It looks like there might not be a lot of dry kindling and the splits are a bit large for starters. Try more small kindling pieces, and get them going well before adding a small split across the starter logs.

hello all is this the total opening for the flue on the merrimack? i know it can go futher over but i know it is the auto setback.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/oQzfF_P4oJkFeobl9SiGvAX_ITnGBUiRe1R5JMjX368?feat=directlink

Having trouble starting fires i dont think its getting enough air.

I hope this can be of some help to you I had a merrimack for three years before selling our house. Im not wood stoveless and have three draftty fireplaces. :(

The auto set back works like this

if your going to start or re start a fire open fully left past the springgy point on the lever. then set the lever at your desired position once the auto set back is staisfied. The auto set back is really a additional fresh air plenum that will close once the stove heats to the proper temp. via a thermocuple. i really enjoyed this feature once i figured out how it works because you can go about your biz. after you load the stove up knowing it will set back to where you want it on its own. The wife also enjoyed the feature becasue it ment she didnt have to fiddle with it much.

When starting fires i would crack the one door a tad by using the latch to hold the door open. then close it and let the auto set back take control.

I miss my Merrimack a lot and wish i had taken it with me. would i buy another yes. Im also considering Hearthstone but i will need to save up for sometime. I got the tax credit on the last stove this go around im not so lucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.