Messed up finish of top of wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dorlow

Mar 7, 2011
Michigan
Ok, so I did something really stupid. This wood stove is almost brand new. I was messing around with the blower and reaching behind my wood stove while it was hot. All the sudden I smelled something burning and then noticed my coat was lying on top of the stove burning. So, I burned a hole in my coat and it left some rubberish type residue on the stove.

Does anyone know what the right way to fix this? It just loks like an extra greyish dullish spot on the top of my wood stove. Does anyone have any special cleaner for the top?

My dad says if I can't fix it, I can go buy some paint that is made just for painting stuff that gets hot like wood stoves and grills. He paints his grill all the time with the stuff. It would be nice if I could just remove the residue than repaint it when it's almost brand new.

Post some pics. What type of stove is this? Steel? Cast iron? Soapstone?

When people get their waterproof rain gear up against hot motorcycle exhaust pipes they use Easy Off Oven Cleaner and a damp rag and it comes off with no damage to the chrome... but that's chrome.. just sayin..

Stuff like that happens, if it's good paint it shouldn't be damaged by a fairly strong chemical to take off some melted synthetic material.. if it is an enamel fish it should clean up pretty easy.

If you're nervous about it, call the manufacturer and get their opinion.

Here is a pic. It looks way worse in the pic than it does just looking at it. The room is usually pretty dim. The flash on the phone really brought out the defect. It looks more brown in the pic. It's a US Stove 2000 wood stove. I don't know what kind of finish it is. I think cast iron. I just assumed that. But I assumed pretty much all wood stoves were cast iron.

when looking at it, the spots that are showing up bright white in the pic just really look like a dull grey by the naked eye. The brown inside the "white" is what you notice more by looking at it. But, I'd like it to be as if nothing ever happened. It would be nice if someone looked at this pic and said some certain solvent would just clean it up as if nothing ever happened.

Attachments

• photo2.JPG
    photo2.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 141
It's a steel stove, knock it down in the spring after the stove goes cold and repaint the top using stove bright paint. I don't think you're going to have much luck getting it off any other way.

Yeah, steel stove and a mess on it Sand it down after the season is over and repaint it. Why I don't cook on wood stoves anymore. The little camp stove works great in power outages and I don't have to smell boiled over stew for two weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.