Messy but ready

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AccentraRRT

Burning Hunk
Mar 1, 2014
Massachusetts
This stack is messy but I am ready for the cold..
Why is it that they are stacked so nicely on delivery but when restacked they look like the leaning tower of Pisa?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 198
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    282.1 KB · Views: 218
Nice. I have gotten better stacking them over the years, but it's never like original pallet.

I came from stacking wood - it took years for me to keep the stacks from looking like a pyramid (stacking several cords in a row nright against each other). Pellets are really easy for me to keep relatively straight. Probably if you slow down a bit, your stack would be fine. But, the stacking has nothing at all to do with how it burns, so who cares that much? Wood, on the other hand, can get too crowded to dry out correctly, so is more of a concern.

Stack them like they came off the pallet: 1, 2, 1, 2, 1, 2 etc

20151008_131431.jpg

View attachment 163367

+1 and in addition I do find that as I lay down each bag I give each a rub/wiggle to settle it down so the top is flatter and less pillow-y.

However, I've stopped short of breaking out the laser level when I stack them.:p

Reactions: bogieb
This stack is messy but I am ready for the cold..
Why is it that they are stacked so nicely on delivery but when restacked they look like the leaning tower of Pisa?
Your pellets are officially ruined, send them to me for immediate disposal in an approved appliance ........

If you bar code the bags you can attach a hand scanner to your computer and track consumption. >>

I actually can get 6 bags to a layer on a wood pallet.
reverse of course on the 2nd layer, rinse/lather/repeat.

View attachment 163367
Haha I did restack them the way I found them.. The picture is diseaving.. The stack is taller than it looks and it got to the point that I just started throwing them on top.
A 4.5ft 1.2ton stack as delivered restocked at almost 5.5ft. After moving 3 ton into the garage and half down down to the basement. I just started chucking on top haha

Last edited:
I have the forklift driver place half the pallets in the garage and leave half in the driveway. then i stack the driveway pellets on top of the ones in the garage. sometimes hit 8 ft high. this works well for the winter, however the leftovers at one point during the summer months seem to topple over. It sure is something when you leisurely go to grab the mower, only to open the garage and find a ton of toppled pellets on top of it!

Trick is to stack, and work the bags to settle where you want them. Hit, pat, pack, nudge in symmetric rows. Stacks.JPG

Rona had there pellets on sale so I bought 95 bags stacked them all in a spare bedroom I don't use 12 bags high along one wall and I just had enough room to open the door, till Monday, I heard a thump coming from the spare room, I walked to the door turned the knob gave it a push didn't budge an inch, damn a row of bags fell over against the door!!!!!!, cant open the door cant open the widow from the outside what now my winter stash is in there, so I got down on the floor and pushed the door with my feet till I got it open about 3 inches, got my arm in there and tried to move a bag or two but no go, so as a last resort I got out the carpet knife and started slashing bags, that did it but what a mess 5 bags of pellets all over but I got in, so be careful how and WHERE you stack your pellets.

That is awesome!!!!

Reactions: AccentraRRT
Rona had there pellets on sale so I bought 95 bags stacked them all in a spare bedroom I don't use 12 bags high along one wall and I just had enough room to open the door, till Monday, I heard a thump coming from the spare room, I walked to the door turned the knob gave it a push didn't budge an inch, damn a row of bags fell over against the door!!!!!!, cant open the door cant open the widow from the outside what now my winter stash is in there, so I got down on the floor and pushed the door with my feet till I got it open about 3 inches, got my arm in there and tried to move a bag or two but no go, so as a last resort I got out the carpet knife and started slashing bags, that did it but what a mess 5 bags of pellets all over but I got in, so be careful how and WHERE you stack your pellets.

Reactions: Tonyray

oh man! you're pellets didn't want you to burn them up so they walled themselves in! the perfect plan!

Reactions: bogieb
Classic!

Status
Not open for further replies.