Metal chimney for woodstove outside of house from the basement? Good idea?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woolleyr

Dec 8, 2005
Thinking of adding a wood stove to my finished basement, heated other homes with wood and have all the toys to make it easier, but new house doesn't have one and its heated by propane....aghhh million dollars a year with that junk, fast move, had to take what could be found and so forth...

So I have been thinking about installing an external metal chimney up the outside of the house. Need to go essentially up 3 stories to get to the roof. (basement, 1 st floor, 2nd floor, and then high enough to get above the 10' x 3' rule.

Now many of you may ask why would you go metal chimney up the outside of a fairly nice higher end home "its so ugly" true but if the next owner is not interested in a stove I can easily remove the chimney and all the pieces and the outside will look brand new so to speak...and at this price range many people don't want wood or the bother...but in my mind its just my way of telling the arabs to shove it just a little...

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Just be prepared to battle the stack effect. See:
The evil outside chimney

Its not ideal, avoid if you can, but there are some "fixes" if you have a problem, such as chimney fans.
I think a woodstove probably adds value to a house if you install it properly (especially when you show the prospective new owner your utility bills). Plus a centrally located stove with an interior flue will heat your house much better.

u will have some smokey starts but pre warming the pipe will take care of that and reverse the draft for you. when u have no other option i makes it simple either u do or dont. my next house will have a double flu for absolute sure!!!!

I wouldnt worry so much about the looks alot of nice homes have stacks outside. If it ever became an issue you dould build a chase around it.
The height is another thing alltogether. Having 2 90s will effectivly reduce the height by about 10' but I would go as high inside as you can before going outside. Getting a draft started may be a bit of an issue but once you get it watch out it might suck the carpet off the floor.

Yea I figured the drafting problem could be a pain in the rear end but a nifty way of dealing with it is to use a hair dryer and another way I have used is a propane torch. My fathers insert into a huge exterior masonary chimney was a bear to get drafting. Hair dryer worked like a charm...a 1970's fix to an age old problem.

Any installers got an idea on the price per lf to install something like this?

Seems whenever a contractor arrives at my house all quotes go up a $1000 bucks or so....hmm nice house he can afford it...ha

Anyway thanks...

FireWx said:
Seems whenever a contractor arrives at my house all quotes go up a $1000 bucks or so....hmm nice house he can afford it...ha

I get that sort of vibe a lot at our seasonal place in MI; it's no mansion by "big city" standards, but the local economy is so bad that it must seem like it to some. The tree service guy thought I was a day trader, the guy that did the driveway wanted to know what we did for a living, and the kid that installed the DSL told me my basement was bigger than his apartment. Doesn't help that a neighbor down the road actually is a bazillionaire from Chicago, I suppose. You can stand about 10 people upright inside his Rumford fireplace.

FireWx said:
Yea I figured the drafting problem could be a pain in the rear end but a nifty way of dealing with it is to use a hair dryer and another way I have used is a propane torch. My fathers insert into a huge exterior masonary chimney was a bear to get drafting. Hair dryer worked like a charm...a 1970's fix to an age old problem.

Any installers got an idea on the price per lf to install something like this?

Anyway thanks...

Starting is the least of your troubles with a backdrafting chimney. Its the stink when the fire is dying down or when there is no fire at all that bugs most people.

Status
Not open for further replies.