Metal chimney through metal roof, best option

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

beefstew

Oct 24, 2014
MN
I'm about to start the install of a metal chimney, which will run out through a block basement wall and then up (~16ft?) the side of my house. Soffit is 16", and the Supervent (Selkirk?) instructions are ADAMANT about not using a pair of 15 or 30 deg offsets to go around the soffit. Instead, I'm supposed to go through the soffit. My house has a standard "ribbed" metal roof (Midwest Manufacturing via Menards).

So far as I can tell, there are two options. First option is the Selkirk Rubber Boot Flashing kit for metal roofs
upload_2014-10-26_16-50-16.png

2nd option (via the roof vendor) is a silicone boot (p 22 of, http://www.midwestmanufacturing.com/MidwestManufacturing/web/docs/pdf/HelpfulHints.pdf) and then a steel cover above the boot, along with a snow jack/plow above the chimney.

Has anyone tried one or both of these options? The selkirk kit seems pretty cock-a-mame, but it is vendor supplied.

Last edited:
Don't use that. Reports are they don't stand up. For a good permanent install use the ICC Excel metal roof flashing instead.

Don't use which? Both? Also, I can't seem to find the ICC boot for sale. Could you suggest a vendor?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.