1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Metal Chimney venting

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Curve, Oct 13, 2012.

1. Curve

Curve New Member

Loc:
    Central, MA
    I haven't purchased as pellet stove yet, I am still in the process of researching what to buy. I am replacing an old Vermont Castings Wood Stove with a new pellet stove. last year I just replaced my brick chimney with a new Metalbestos chimney. The store I was in told me I need to take the new chimney down in order to use a pellet stove. It will only work by venting it outside with no chimney.
    Is this correct?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    Not usually correct. Pellet stoves offer various ways of venting, including into a chimney like you currently have. If you look at a couple pellet stove manuals (available online), you will note the various options.
  3. Curve

Curve New Member

Loc:
    Central, MA
    Thanks, that's what I was hoping to hear. The metalbestos chimney was VERY expensive!!!!
    Now I need to do some homework on what pellet stove to buy to heat my 1,800 sq. ft. home. The Vermont castings wood stove did a great job, but my wife no longer wants to tend to the fire all day long.
  4. imacman

imacman Guest

I vented my pellet stove into an existing MetalBestos chimney and have NO problems. The store that told you that you couldn't use it either didn't really know what they were talking about or wanted to make some $$, or both.:mad:
  5. Bioburner

Bioburner Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West central Mn
    I hope the salesperson was just a weekend warrior.