Metal Chimney venting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Curve

Oct 13, 2012
Central, MA
I haven't purchased as pellet stove yet, I am still in the process of researching what to buy. I am replacing an old Vermont Castings Wood Stove with a new pellet stove. last year I just replaced my brick chimney with a new Metalbestos chimney. The store I was in told me I need to take the new chimney down in order to use a pellet stove. It will only work by venting it outside with no chimney.
Is this correct?

Thanks, that's what I was hoping to hear. The metalbestos chimney was VERY expensive!!!!
Now I need to do some homework on what pellet stove to buy to heat my 1,800 sq. ft. home. The Vermont castings wood stove did a great job, but my wife no longer wants to tend to the fire all day long.

I vented my pellet stove into an existing MetalBestos chimney and have NO problems. The store that told you that you couldn't use it either didn't really know what they were talking about or wanted to make some $$, or both.:mad:

I hope the salesperson was just a weekend warrior.

Status
Not open for further replies.