Metal enclosure to carry out ash pan?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulF

Nov 19, 2005
I have a Vermont Castings Resolute Acclaim. Carrying out the ashpan is a problem when it is hot. Even through fireplace gloves it seems hot and a trip in the house would be a disaster.

I would like to have a metal enclosure to put the ash pan in so I could safely take it outside where I dump the hot ashes into a metal trash can with lid.

My ashpan measures about 14 inches square and is 2-3 inches high. I want to place the ashpan in a metal enclosure, cover it, and carry the enclosure outside? I do not want to dump ashes while inside my house because of the mess.

I am going to look for a large metal cooking pot or pan with a lid that might serve as the enclosure. Anyone got any ideas of something that can be easily adapted?

PaulF

I'd get one built at a sheet metal shop. I doubt it would be very costly and you can get exactly what you want dimensionally.

Go to your local "farm store" to see what they have. Normally that would have a lot of steel pails and buckets for farm and such . That is where i got mine and i do the same thing . take the ash pan out back and dump it in the 5 gal steel pail and then take the pail to the 55 gal drum in the garden.

Back when I used to use the ash pan on my stove (which was the first week or two) i used to use an old cookie sheet underneath the pan. The pan on my stove is kinda strange, it is completely open in the front so the ash would have to be pushed back from the edge. But if it was full, the ash would fall out the front, hence the cookie sheet. I'm not sure if your looking for something completed enclosed.

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.