Metal-Fab pipe; What do you think?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mywaynow

Minister of Fire
Dec 13, 2010
Northeast
I was able to find Metal-Fab double wall, insulated 6 inch pipe over the summer. The savings allowed me to finally set up the stove. It is stainless. Beyond the knowledge I have, which is that it went together nicely, looks fine, and when I make a fire in the iron box in the baeement the smoke comes out the other end at the roof, I have no opinion to base the pipe on. I can say that yesterday, in a research mode, I loaded about 6-8 small (1.25" dia) limb sections with the same settings I have burned the regular wood at. After 45 minutes, the stove pipe thermometer was pushing 675. I slowed the air and it immediately began to callm down. I went outside to feel the insulated thimble/cleanout and it was barely warm to the touch. Outside temp around 30 with light wind.

The gentleman I purchased the used sections from was in the plumbing supply business, and said he had researched the pipe well before choosing the Metal-Fab. I had to purchase 2 more sections new to complete the system. A 4 ft section was 155 shipped. It looked almost undistinguishable from the 2 year old sections I bought used. If you have an opinion on this line, what is it?

Never had any issues with Metal Fab, Dura Vent, Metalbestos, American Metals brand chimneys over the years, at least with their class A stuff.

We put in a MetalFab Class A system about a year ago. Through the wall and up 24' in an exterior chase with a 30 degree offset in the run.

It's performed fine. The only issue I have with it is the access to the clean out tee. In my opinion, they should have made a design change to provide for a better seal. It's only secured by two self taping screwes.

DSC01940.jpg

Happy burning mywaynow. It sounds as if you are doing just fine.

My only complaint about Metal Fab is the how the pip ends are open with the insulation exposed. I realize when its together they seal but at the top you have to maintain their style cap to keep moisture from getting down between the walls. Finding a rain cap to match that pipe was challenging around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.