metal hearth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rusty1960

Dec 2, 2007
Ontario CA
In Ontario it is code to have a sheet metal top layer over the minimum distances in front of your fireplace. Okay, so any ideas on how to install ceramic tile over that sheet metal? Every thin set I can find says do not install over metal. I know I can cement with high-temp silicone, but the slate tiles I want to use specifically say to lay only in a mortar (thin set) bed. The tile store I bought from said to use metal lath, but that puts my 3/4" hearth plinth plus 1/2" tiles plus the lath thickness over 1", and means ripping out and rebuilding the subfloor to get it to match the surrounding floor height. Any advice welcomed. And if I could find a ceramic tiles forum I'd ask there as well!

You are probably going to have to put something on the metal. Best thing to use would be 1/2" Durock. There are other back boards as well but the Durock seems to have the best insulation value and is all cement except for the strengthening fibers in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.