metal lids

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can not believe that within the last 24 hours no one has opened a jar of pasta sauce, jam or baby food, and not wondered what to do with the metal lid other than chuck it into the garbage. I'm assuming the metal lid can be recycled with other aluminums, but that's just an assumption.

Yes they are recyclable. It depends how many streams you have. If you are single stream then everything goes in the same pile, dual stream glass plastic and metal go together with paper and cardboard separate. and so on.

I recycle the old way. Our trash hauler does not offer recylcing. If a magnet sticks to it, if is counted as steel/"tin", and goes in the pile with car bodies and such. Last time I sold any it was 2.5 cents/pound (was 6cents before the economic crash.) If a magnet does not stick to it, and it seems lightwieght like aluminum soda cans and beer cans, then it (usually) can be sold as aluminum, before October it was about 50 cents. I also save brass, stainless steel, and more.

But this is not what you are talking about is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.