metal shed chimney ideas?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobcatter

Jan 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
I've been toying with the idea of moving my little wood stove to a metal building (steelmaster). I'm not trying to heat the whole thing, just want to take the chill off sometimes, or have a "warmer" area to be near. Nothing like a little fire to make things more cheery! (I know about condensation concerns when heating a metal shed full time. )

I suppose I might use it 10 times in a year, couple hours at a time. On those chilly days, not in the dead of winter. No combustibles nearby, no gasoline, etc.

So, any ideas on a low cost chimney install? Due to weather proofing, I would rather exit sideways out the building instead of going up through the top.

Or should I just skip the idea? Anyone try something like this?

sure, i help people put stoves in sheds, yurt, shcool buses, underground suanas, you name it-it can be done...

code will dictate you use class a chimney from the wall or cieling on up, regardless of clearance to combistibles.
i will never recomend tee systems for draft reasons, but in a drafty metal shed, it should work fine. any tee system can be prone to smokey

any brand of pipe will work, but you wont be able to secure the wall/tee support to shin guage metal... typically i recomend metal bestos(lol, see the add below) in such circumstances. mount 1 or 2 tall 4x4s in the ground with concrete to mount the wall brackets too.

or go renegade and use 6" single wall carbon steel interior pipe all the way, yes it will need frequent cleaning and replacing, but for 10-20$ a 24" stick cant beat it. maintain 18" or more clearance to combustibles**foolish method***

not sure about your area, but a shed is treated like a garage around here, stove must sit on 18" pedistal in a garage or workspace for code

here is some basic info from our site...http://woodheatstoves.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=30

Thanks, you gave me what I needed to know. You make a good point, now I remember seeing little wood stoves in tents, so anything is possible. I may try the renegade method to try it out and see how useful it is! I was looking today, and I'm not that far from the back side, which is a vertical metal wall . It will look better and allow an easier permanent installation if I like how it works. Like you said, something to mount the T will bee needed.

Yes, I like the Metalbestos pipe, that's what I have at the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.