1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Metal stress ping/click - St.Croix Hastings

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Charlie500e, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Charlie500e

Charlie500e New Member

Loc:
    Rockland County, NY
    Awesome a new noise! Any thoughts on where a pinging / clicking noise would come from? Only does it when the stove is warming up from being cold. The sound starts after the combustion and convection fans kick on (but not immediately and stops after a few minutes after the stove warms up) so I don't think it's related to any fan, auger, or versa-grate motor. I removed the top and sides of the stove but it seems to be coming from an area towards the top at I don't think is accessible without some major disassembly. Stove is about 7 years old. Runs great, leaf blower cleaning, etc.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. wwert

wwert Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northern CT.
    Just normal expansion noise as the metal gets warmer, no worries.
  3. Charlie500e

Charlie500e New Member

Loc:
    Rockland County, NY
    Yes, I know it's from metal warming and expanding so I'm not too worried (although it's never done it until now and I've been running the stove for 7 years) I'm just trying to get ideas on a possible source/location as it's really annoying (stove is in same loft area as bed)
  4. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    Something has slowly worked its way loose from the expanding and contracting that has taken place over the seven years you have used the stove.

Get a mechanic's stethoscope and run down the noise and check all fasteners that are around that area. Even the holes that the fasteners go through can have changed shape, making a formally tight joint able to move a bit.
  5. Could be from anywhere, Chief. Feel it out.