Metal stress ping/click - St.Croix Hastings

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlie500e

Nov 28, 2011
Rockland County, NY
Awesome a new noise! Any thoughts on where a pinging / clicking noise would come from? Only does it when the stove is warming up from being cold. The sound starts after the combustion and convection fans kick on (but not immediately and stops after a few minutes after the stove warms up) so I don't think it's related to any fan, auger, or versa-grate motor. I removed the top and sides of the stove but it seems to be coming from an area towards the top at I don't think is accessible without some major disassembly. Stove is about 7 years old. Runs great, leaf blower cleaning, etc.

Just normal expansion noise as the metal gets warmer, no worries.

Yes, I know it's from metal warming and expanding so I'm not too worried (although it's never done it until now and I've been running the stove for 7 years) I'm just trying to get ideas on a possible source/location as it's really annoying (stove is in same loft area as bed)

Something has slowly worked its way loose from the expanding and contracting that has taken place over the seven years you have used the stove.

Get a mechanic's stethoscope and run down the noise and check all fasteners that are around that area. Even the holes that the fasteners go through can have changed shape, making a formally tight joint able to move a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.