Metal Wood Shed?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NextEndeavor

Burning Hunk
Jan 16, 2011
Southern Iowa
Anyone tried one of those all metal type shed or covers people store RVs in? I’m thinking of a shorter version more suitable for wood storage. Open sides and ends won’t break the bank and should certainly reduce the frustration of damp wood. I have an old wood shed about ready to fall in like a very old farm barn. I'm thinking one of those metal ones will be less susceptible to insects chewing them up and likely less problems with pesky paper wasps; Looking for pictures and suggestions.

How about a new metal roof over the old shed?

NextEndeavor said:
Anyone tried one of those all metal type shed or covers people store RVs in? I’m thinking of a shorter version more suitable for wood storage. Open sides and ends won’t break the bank and should certainly reduce the frustration of damp wood. I have an old wood shed about ready to fall in like a very old farm barn. I'm thinking one of those metal ones will be less susceptible to insects chewing them up and likely less problems with pesky paper wasps; Looking for pictures and suggestions.

Here is one. We had this put up last fall. We stored 3 cord in one corner and the rest is for tool shed and room enough for the car too. As you can see, we put sides and ends on plus 2 overhead doors, one entry door with window and 4 other windows.

EDIT: You will notice the windows are sort of offset. We planned on stacking wood on both corners where there are no windows. So far we've just used one side for wood. I may fill both corners though before next winter. That would give us 2 years of firewood inside the shed and that also is very close to the house.
Newbarn-2.jpg

You can see part of the 3 cord we stacked just inside and close to the door.
Atv-1.jpg

Now I'm thinking about putting up another shed just like it.

I should have added that a neighbor put up the carport without sides or ends. He also made it higher so he could drive his tractor inside. That makes it nice for filling the bucket on the FEL. He also has an OWB and places the carport so that he can fill the boiler without having to stand in rain or snow. It seems to me that his holds something like 15 cord or more.

Here's a few pics of mine. I added my own front, sides and doors. The back is left open. I have a tarp that comes down over the back in the winter to keep the snow from blowing in.

Attachments

• !cid__downsized_0812081412.jpg
    !cid__downsized_0812081412.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 283
  • Copy of HPIM2660.jpg
    Copy of HPIM2660.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 288
  • Copy of 0812081411.jpg
    Copy of 0812081411.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 309
  • Copy of 0812081414.jpg
    Copy of 0812081414.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 288
Some day I'll have this setup.... Good stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.