Metalbestos Lined Masonry Chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RWA6541

Jan 13, 2010
BRONX, NY
Adapted my PE Summit to my fireplace with masonry chimney last year, stove burned decent but not as good as I know it could, I belive it is not heating up the chimney enough to get good draft. Until I had it roaring it would blow back on me. Going to drop 6" Metalbestos down the 12" square flu (approx 30' straight run) and build a metal stand in firebox to support new flu, have to break the smoke chamber up because the angle of it will interfere straight down. Any advice, someone told me after install is all complete to fill voids in entire chimney with vermiculite??? From top to bottom by pouring it down the chimney and rodding it in. So that the metalbestos will be insulated. Firebox had a rotted out heatalator in it that I had cut out. Summer project!! sweating my ass off to keep me warm, how do you spell ironik??????

You don't need to use Metalbestos chimney. You should use a chimney liner like Dura Chimney, which is two walls with insulation. If you use a single wall liner like Heat Fab, then you should insulate around it with rock wool or fill the chimney with vermiculite.

Wood Heat Stoves said:
You don't need to use Metalbestos chimney. You should use a chimney liner like Dura Chimney, which is two walls with insulation. If you use a single wall liner like Heat Fab, then you should insulate around it with rock wool or fill the chimney with vermiculite.

+1

An insulated liner would be ideal. FWIW, my old chimney was around 6.5 x 6.5 inch ID (8 x 8 square outside) tile and I had it busted out and dropped a straight shot of Rhino rigid liner with 1 inch insulation around a 6 inch pipe and the difference is draft and stove performance was remarkable. It was like having two different stoves.

Do some searching and reading-up on relining chimneys - lots of good stuff on this site.

Bill

Thnx 4 input i'm working up a plan now, I have vaca in first part of august, I'm gonna spend it breaking my ass, or doing what i consider fun, cold assed winter is my down time when i can sit back and reflect on everything i never get done.

Status
Not open for further replies.