1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Metalbestos pipe leaking when it rains.

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Longpond paperboy, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Longpond paperboy

Longpond paperboy Member

Hi everyone.

So this storm created a new noise for me. Water leaking and sizzling on the stove. We have not really had a storm so it must be something from new install. It is leaking at the ceiling flange. I am thinking it is following he pipe down. Are you suppose to seal the storm collar

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. DAKSY

DAKSY Patriot Guard Rider Staff Member

Loc:
    Averill Park, NY, on Burden Lake II...
    The storm collar should be liberally coated with silicone where it meets the Class A, then smoothed with your fingertip. Depending on the pitch of your roof, you might need to silicone underneath it so that it's sealed to the flashing cone as well. Steeper pitched roofs have a propensity for rain splashing up under the storm collar & getting past the flashing cone.
  3. Longpond paperboy

Longpond paperboy Member

You are correct. I put some stove tape up there and it got a lot better. The wind I think was getting under the flashing. It is a flat roof. I had 2 leaks the storm collar and flashing. I will silicone it once the rain stops. Thanks
    DAKSY likes this.
  4. Bub381

Bub381 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Mid-coast Maine
    I had water running down my pipe,the storm collar was open 1/4".They sealed it next time back.No prob now.
  5. scooby074

scooby074 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    if you have a vertical seam (sheetmetal lock) on your exterior pipe, seal that too. thats where mine was leaking