metalbestos

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 10, 2009
WV
Fellows,
after looking for used chimeny to put on my boiler, I have decided to go with new. I'm looking at Metalbestos 8 inch ss with 1 inch insulation. Anybody have any thoughts on this brand? It seems to be the cheapest but is it good

That's what we have at our weekend place. It came with the house, but it's held up just fine. No idea on the age; a stove guy who looked at thought it was 20+ years old.

We haven't had any problems with our 8" pipe and get very little dust out of it even though we burn 24/7 for 7-8 months straight. All parts seemed well made, locked together properly, etc. For sections where it doesn't matter, galvanized was a lot cheaper than ss when I installed ours.

being in the process of putting together a chimney, I can say that while metalbestos is good value per dollar, it's only good at going straight up and down. If that's all you need it for, you're golden! If you need to have any elbows, etc you're in a pinch.

We've had Metalbestos installed and operating for 25 years for two stoves. Zero problems. Appears to still be in great shape. Very easy to install. They make 45 degree elbows, at least, as we have one. They also make, or at least used to, a T-like piece for allowing horizontal thru-the-wall runs to an outside vertical pipe and that piece has a clean-out on the bottom of the T. I have a catalogue of all sorts of stuff [caps, roof flashing, etc.] but it is 25+ years old and probably no longer valid as to their offerings.

But we've been quite pleased with ours.

Edit: I just now looked up at one stove and see that the 45 degree part is actually made of multiple pieces one can twist and adjust to get a number of angles. We happen to have it set at roughly 45.

You know 45 degrees are no longer up to code, right?

I won't tell if you don't. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.