metallic "electric"? buzzing sound, right side of Enviro M55 Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bostonfan49

Minister of Fire
Nov 10, 2011
Essex Jct. Vermont
So the stove is running fine, sometime 30-45 minutes in, or longer, I get a soft slow tinging metal sound on the rights side of the stove. It's not the side panel because I removed it, and it's not any part of the surround piece. After about 15-20 seconds it starts to get progressively louder and louder. Because it's an insert, I am limited to how much I can see....if I could take the surround off I think I could see a lot more but I believe the surround is extremely heavy to lift up and over the stove. If I had to guess, the sound On the top part of the right side where all the electronics are. I am guessing its electric, sort of like a Remington Razor annoying buzzing sound, but a slower cadence and speed. While it's buzzing, the stove is running normally (for now) the pellets drop, the agitator turns, the fan and blower are doing their thing but the buzzing gets louder and louder until the dogs and wife gets spooked and run out! As soon as I hit the power button to shut down the buzzing stops, and the stove continues to shut down normally.....

Any ideas....? Thanks, Bill

So the stove is running fine, sometime 30-45 minutes in, or longer, I get a soft slow tinging metal sound on the rights side of the stove. It's not the side panel because I removed it, and it's not any part of the surround piece. After about 15-20 seconds it starts to get progressively louder and louder. Because it's an insert, I am limited to how much I can see....if I could take the surround off I think I could see a lot more but I believe the surround is extremely heavy to lift up and over the stove. If I had to guess, the sound On the top part of the right side where all the electronics are. I am guessing its electric, sort of like a Remington Razor annoying buzzing sound, but a slower cadence and speed. While it's buzzing, the stove is running normally (for now) the pellets drop, the agitator turns, the fan and blower are doing their thing but the buzzing gets louder and louder until the dogs and wife gets spooked and run out! As soon as I hit the power button to shut down the buzzing stops, and the stove continues to shut down normally.....

Any ideas....? Thanks, Bill

Still looking for help....please
Thanks, Bill

Is it associated with the timing of the Agitator? If so it may need lube.

Also the convection blower Squirrel cage mount may be loose on the right side.
Open it up. (clean it since it's open) then see how it goes back together. Perhaps something is loose.

Good Luck,
---Nailer---

Is it associated with the timing of the Agitator? If so it may need lube.

Also the convection blower Squirrel cage mount may be loose on the right side.
Open it up. (clean it since it's open) then see how it goes back together. Perhaps something is loose.

Good Luck,
---Nailer---
Not associated with the agitator, this is a constant buzzing, tinging sound that starts of slow and low sound and then gets louder and louder. I will check the convection blower.....but I have the new blower and it works and sounds fine...This sound comes on after maybe 40-50 minutes, also the sound seems to be coming from much higher up on the right side than the blower mount....that's why I am leaning toward something electrical.........Bill

being that the sound progresses and gets louder, i was thinking of the squirrel cage too, as it speeds up as the stove gets hotter. since you are not getting error codes, that rules out short circuits. so it could be a loose screw, wire, or some other part.

hard to test these theories out on an insert.

i would call Enviro if the sound persists - just to get some ideas or comments if they have heard similar complaints from other customers using the new convection fan.

i would check the convection blower it s the most likely cause. other thing maybe the auger

might be temperature related. As the stove internals get warmer thing expand enough to change shape.
That's when it starts the buzzing/rattle.

Open it up and see if anything is loose or a fastener needs to be tightened.

Sometimes it is related to harmonics from the blower(s) even thou the blower itself is tight.
Check all the sheet metal mating areas.

Good Luck,
---Nailer---

Thanks guys! Later tonight I will use my rail kit and pull the stove out and check everything on both sides. In this case, I wish I had the free standing unit....I could check it while running....oh well, I am hoping it's an easy fix, will let you know later.....Bill

All fixed! Ran for the last hour and a half of the ball game last night and two hours plus this morning and no more buzzing sound. Checked the squirrel cage and it was very tight but I was able to give the two main bolts an 1/8 of a turn. Then I tightened every bolt I could reached with pretty much the same result. Then I used my T- wrench and tightened every screw in sight (although some of them kept turning and turning)......?
Lesson learned????? Expansion, contraction, and vibration brought on by extreme heat and cold can loosen anything! Good annual check to add to a spring or fall clean......
Thanks guys! Bill

glad you got it fixed, Bill.

funny you should mention the turning and turning with some screws/bolts, cause i have two on my stove that do that. can't tighten too much cause they keep going.

glad you got it fixed, Bill.

funny you should mention the turning and turning with some screws/bolts, cause i have two on my stove that do that. can't tighten too much cause they keep going.
Drat's.....it's back......but now I know What it is....sort of.....see new post!

Status
Not open for further replies.