Method for sliding an insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Harvey Schneider

Minister of Fire
Oct 9, 2012
Southbury, CT
This is the first time that I have had trouble sliding my MVAE insert back into place after a vent and blower cleaning. Maybe I'm just getting old or maybe the bottom of the stove has gotten roughed up from sliding in and out or it's recess.
I came up with a way of making the stove slide in with very little effort.
  • First I partially installed the front two bolts that were used to hold the insert down to it's shipping pallet.
  • I drive them in just far enough to allow me to insert two thin sheets of HDPE (0.045"). The sheets are from a local kitchen/home furninshing store. They are sold as sheilds for cutting boards.
  • Back out the bolts so that the insert is sitting on the sheets.
  • A (relatively) gentle push drives the insert back into it's place.
  • To reposition the sheets after moving the insert jack it up again and slide the sheets back. The sheets will be waiting for the next time the stove needs to move.
  • If you want to remove the the sheets jack the insert up and slide the sheets out.
  • I leave the jack screws in place but just touching the blue stone hearth.
In my mind, this beats building a rail system to move the insert.

Pictures please?

Pictures please?
IMG_0003.JPG IMG_0005.JPG

Reactions: Wilbur Feral
Fancy! I did a redneck version with furniture sliders from Home Depot.

You paid too much. They have great ones at the dollar store. Slid a five hundred pound wood stove into a fireplace like it was on butter with them.

The furniture sliders were too thick. They lifted the stove too high to leave in place. The cutting mats can be left in place so that I don't have to remember where I stored them last year. In fact, I don't have to have a place to store them.

My accentra has wheels and a rail extended the rail so I can slide it out into the middle of the living room.i can walk the hole way around it to work on it and it rolls out no problem no lifting just slight pushing or pulling depending

Reactions: Peterfield
Status
Not open for further replies.