Mice/Squirrels in the Engine Compartment

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bcnu

Dec 1, 2006
Does anyone have experience keeping these rodents out of your vehicles? We live in middle of a nut orchard and have lots of shells on the air filter and engine block of my truck. I've used a sticky traps a couple of times but they just disappear. I use traps, Decon, MouseProof and a shotgun as deterrents when/where appropriate. Thanks for any ideas,other than moving, that u might have. :)

Leave the engine running! :)

Chris

Redox, you don't know how close you are - I had a slight problem(detailed in another forum) when my truck self started - no lie - and drove itself about 20 feet before taking out the overhead garage door. That's when we suspected mice, chewing not driving, and the battle was on. The truck did start again, although didn't always turn over immediately...until a couple days ago. I had to push start and leave it running while helping a friend move one load of furniture. The mechanic just put in a new starter.

A friend of mine told me to winterize my "classic" car by putting it on jackstands and putting a pie pan of mothballs in it. I guess mice don't like the smell? I've never been able to try it out in my '70 VW Westy. My wife gags at the smell of mothballs, so I just have mice in it.

That's one tough lady who would rather have mice than smell mothballs. I'll try it out on my daughter's car, as it will be stored for the next few months.

get a cat!

My neighbors have 8 cats- 3 in the house, and 5 that cruise the neighborhood.

We have no mice problems here, but sadly my"pet" chipmunk got snagged this spring too.

He was a cute little guy, lived under the woodpile, my friends kid used to sprinkle birdseed out for him. He was spoiled, and got fat and slow.

Was given a cat recently. It kept the squirrels out of the back room of older trailer on the property. It had some bad habits so we had to move it outside. The very next day the squirrels returned. Unfortunately, cats and decon don't mix(I thought it was well hidden) So I'm not doing too well with cats or trucks.

I learned from a classic car show that moth balls are for bugs and mice dont mind the smell they said place moth balls for bugs and irish spring soap for mice. I have used this for the past 5 years in my deer blind and also 5 enclosed trailers that sit all winter and so far no mice or bugs.

Hope this helps

Rob

Hey Taxi...
I just happen to have some Irish Spring soap(hope they don't like the Fresh scent) So far we are using mothballs and Irish Spring soap. Wonder what else might disattract those pesky critters? Thanks for the tip because I'm going to try almost anything that you guys/gals come up with

Don't fight 'em, just put in a squirrel cage drive wheel and watch your mileage go up. I use white rats, though. A little classier.

I don't want to anger PITA, ASPCA, the CIA or anyone else. I've heard the term "gas hog" but think they may be too big to fool with. :cheese:

I tried mothballs in a dump truck I didnt use much,was loaded with mice I put a whole box inside scattered around and they just climbed all over them,and the truck stunk horrible inside,like an old ladys closet.

I use regular old dryer sheets in my camper to keep the critters out.... I stuff them in every drawer cubby bed and whole that a critter might enter. Always works and the camper smells dryer fresh when we open it up in the spring.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.