Michigan Pellets That Are Available

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott T.

Jan 12, 2013
Michigan
I live in the central LP of Michigan & wanted to know if people from Michigan could recommend some pellets that are available here. Seems like we are very limited & that's why I'm asking. If I have to go a distance to buy I will if the quality is there. Types available in my area are...Magic Spark, Somerset, American Wood Fiber, Pres-to-log, & Pro-pellet. Pres-to-logs have burnt the best so far. I have not seen any softwood pellets at all. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Scott. I live in the Southwestern corner of the LP. I haven't tried American Wood Fiber or Pres-to-logs. Out of the other 3 you named, I've had the best luck with Somersets. Good heat and low dust. I am burning Magic Sparks now. I find them to be pretty dusty when filling the hopper but with good heat output. I would rank Pro-Pellet third with less heat output/quicker ash build up than the other two.

How do you like the Cumberland? One thing I wish I could change on mine is to have manual control of the combustion air. This would allow me to put more air to the firepot when needed for a more complete burn. Lately with the near zero temps we've been getting I've found myself having to shut down and drop the
firepot every day because of the ash build-up.

Sounds like some good choices to me!!

The Somersets are the best of the bunch you listed. Magic Spark/Pro Pellet (same pellet) and Lignetics hardwood are next. Haven't burned any AWF in a couple of years, but were good when I did.

My suggestion is to buy 3-4 bags of each brand to test burn, but if the Somersets are the same price, I think that's the way to go, for sure.

Somersets! With my Auburn I've experienced high heat and low ash. No complaints whatsoever!!!

In my order of preference: Somerset, Magic Spark/Pro Pellet, AWF, Presto Logs.

Nothing against Presto Logs. I found 4 bags and they burned well, they're just hard for me to find. I found 4 bags in the "damaged section" at Lowes in Big Rapids when I was passing through. Thats the only time I've seen them.

I don't notice a whole lot of difference between Somerset and Magic Spark/Pro Pellet. The price difference isn't a whole lot, so I'll usually get a ton of 'sets just to have for the cold snaps. Next year I'll probably go with Magic Spark/Pro Pellet for the majority of my pellets.

Somerset for sure but they are pricey here by me. $4.99 a bag, a bit less by the ton. I had good luck with the Isabella softies.. VERY clean burn in my Quad.

Hi Scott. I live in the Southwestern corner of the LP. I haven't tried American Wood Fiber or Pres-to-logs. Out of the other 3 you named, I've had the best luck with Somersets. Good heat and low dust. I am burning Magic Sparks now. I find them to be pretty dusty when filling the hopper but with good heat output. I would rank Pro-Pellet third with less heat output/quicker ash build up than the other two.

How do you like the Cumberland? One thing I wish I could change on mine is to have manual control of the combustion air. This would allow me to put more air to the firepot when needed for a more complete burn. Lately with the near zero temps we've been getting I've found myself having to shut down and drop the
firepot every day because of the ash build-up.
Thanks for the reply. Last year Somersets from Menards were the best I'd used but this year they don't seem to put our the heat they did last year plus there are more fines in the bags. Pres-to-logs I tried from TSC store are the best I've tried this year. Magic Sparks from Menards were not too bad like you said but actually burned hotter than the Somersets this year. I should add that this season starting in January 2013 I switched to the Harman stove instead of the Cumberland which may be why the difference with pellet performance.

We pay near Lansing, MI around $3.50 per bag for Somersets, Magic Sparks at Menards on sale & Pres-to-logs were $3.89 a bag at TSC with a discount if you buy per ton. Menards started with the Magic Sparks but a worker told me they had in some Somersets (12/12) so I got a ton because of last years good performance. Glad to see prices come down & stabilize. Has anyone found softwood (Pine) pellets in Michigan?

I like this years PTL too! No Somersets near me anymore. A bum baught the whole dang east coast supply and stashed em in his basement on us!

Must be the box stores in greater Grand Rapids prefer to stock only Michigan Wood Pellets. I about wept when I found Magic Spark at my local Menard's this fall, and those went quick. I've never seen Somerset at Menard's, Home Depot or Lowe's around GR. Those seem to be 'dealer only' around here.

I'm taking a work road trip this weekend. May come back Sunday with an Impala full of pellets if I pass someplace that looks promising.

I'll try & post locations & prices & brands of pellets on sale when they come up in the future.​

I live in the central LP of Michigan & wanted to know if people from Michigan could recommend some pellets that are available here. Seems like we are very limited & that's why I'm asking. If I have to go a distance to buy I will if the quality is there. Types available in my area are...Magic Spark, Somerset, American Wood Fiber, Pres-to-log, & Pro-pellet. Pres-to-logs have burnt the best so far. I have not seen any softwood pellets at all. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Nice list of pellets. Haven't found anything better than the list you have. I'd happily burn all those pellets. Somerset and the Magic Spark/PP are the hottest for me, with AWF and Presto lagging a bit behind. My somersets aren't quite as hot this year either. I'm burning last year's Prestos so I can't comment on this years.

i live in greenville..and i ushally burn uncle jeds...place i ge em from hasent had any in half a month and i ran out....ive been playing with other brands ive burned michigans,marths,breader brothers,Isabellas(softwood) and a few others..... i miss my jeds and hope they get some in soon where i get em... everything else burns like crap in my stove.... i guess pro pellets are next as i need to go pick up a few bags in the am....wish me luck lol

There are 3 places in Michigan that carry Jed's. Jed's are about the best u can get right now in Michigan. Expect to pay $ 260 for a ton. Next best is Somerset. I won't burn Michigan wood pellets out of Holland,MI. Pro Pellets are ok, not great. Isabelas are ok but not as much heat out of my stove as the other brands listed.

This has has been mentioned in other threads, but there are two Michigan Pellets. One is Michigan Wood Pellets in Grayling, Michigan and the other is Michigan Wood Fuels in Holland Michigan. They are not affliated with each other. Michigan Wood Pellet in Grayling also sells ProPellets, in the fall.

Smart Energy Solutions in Grant carries Uncle Jed's. never tried them myself.

Jeds compared to Somersets...

In my humble estimation, Somersets definitely burn cleaner along with burning hotter then Jeds. I'm about ½ way through burning a ton of Somersets, as of yet, I haven't had to clean the Auburn yet. My stove continues to perk right along. No hiccups, no giggles.

I have burned a little less then 2 tons of Jeds. Jeds do provide good heat. Just not as good of heat as Somersets. Jeds ash content is higher. These are my findings for this year.

Your mileage may vary.

last year jeds were better then this years batch...last year they were all one color this year they are mixed..light and dark...last year i could go months without cleaning my stove...now with this years jeds its about every week ill clean it out.. but my guy finally got some jeds in so im happy lol

We pay near Lansing, MI around $3.50 per bag for Somersets, Magic Sparks at Menards on sale & Pres-to-logs were $3.89 a bag at TSC with a discount if you buy per ton. Menards started with the Magic Sparks but a worker told me they had in some Somersets (12/12) so I got a ton because of last years good performance. Glad to see prices come down & stabilize. Has anyone found softwood (Pine) pellets in Michigan?
Isabella softwoods are available at h2oasis in rockford mi just north of gr and uncle Jed's softwood are avalable at smart energy solutions in grant mi.

finally I new to the whole wood pellet world I have been on here close to two weeks now. week before I bought my stove and a week with it burning. I was starting to wonder where all the mi peeps were I just pick up my first ton last night Somerset should start hitting the burner in a few hours hope there as good as everyone says I paid 248 a ton. small town in the thumb. I use a couple bags of awf from tsc they were good.

Kirtland pellets made up here in Boyne City are definitely burn as hot or hotter than Somersets. They are a blend of hard and soft, with really low ash.. they are a great pellet if you can get them..

Status
Not open for further replies.