Michigan, when to get back in the woods?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HDRock

Minister of Fire
Oct 25, 2012
Grand Blanc, Mi
Got a line on 5 acres to cut downed dead trees,going to take a look today.
Because I;m new at this and all the rain we have had , what do you think about when It will be ok to get in there to cut ?? I know it depends on up coming weather but, from experience what do ya think

This will be the first spring for me at my sis-in-law's place. I'm just waiting for most of the snow to go away so I can get in there w/o getting stuck.
I'm hoping for next week or so, when temps will be in the mid to upper 40's. That should do it.

It really depends. With all the rain, it could be a good long while before the ground dries up if it's clay soil. If it's sand, you can get usually get out there real quick after rain without getting stuck or tearing things up too bad.

I've been working in the snow in my woods for several weeks. But, I've just been hiking back with my saw, maul, and tools, and doing temporary "stacks" until the snow melts and I can get my tractor back there.

I love bucking with snow on the ground. Drop the tree and cut away without worrying about hitting the dirt underneath.

Like Waulie says, with our sand, the wet can be gone pretty quick.
I've thought of hiking back in to SIL's place, but I get tired thinking about it.<>
I've done it, but not in the snow. I can wait.

I have clay around here, probably the same in Clarkston, can't drive in till I get the ok from owner any way.
I did walk in ,at another wood lot,when it got wet, about 150-200 yards,cut stuff up, drove back in later to pick it up, may be a possibility at this place

Better to wait & be sure than to bury your rig if you have to drive it thru the woods.
Being stuck & risk breaking equipment makes the day no fun at all ;)
An ATV or such would be real helpful .

Really depends upon the lay of the land and type of soil. Around here if we planned on cutting in spring or summer it would probably be May before we'd get much of a start. However, I hate to cut in spring when all the newborn critters are coming and after that come the black flies and mosquitoes. No, I'll stick with December - March for the cutting.

Reactions: BobUrban
Really depends upon the lay of the land and type of soil. Around here if we planned on cutting in spring or summer it would probably be May before we'd get much of a start. However, I hate to cut in spring when all the newborn critters are coming and after that come the black flies and mosquitoes. No, I'll stick with December - March for the cutting.

Well, if you don't have enough wood,or your own property, you gotta take what comes, when it comes ,but the sooner the better to avoid the bugs.

They talked to twenty people before they took the add off, so I'm not the only one to be getting in there

Went out and took a look and there are, as they said there was, wide trails all through the wood lot, All of their property is higher ground than all around them,and they said a lot of rocks under the soil ,so many they have landscaped their prop. with them, and they even sell rocks
They said if I can't get up to some of the wood, I just cut it up and they will take it out ,with their back hoe,put it in the trailer , they are willing to help cuz they are getting their prop.cleaned out for free.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Better to wait & be sure than to bury your rig if you have to drive it thru the woods.
Being stuck & risk breaking equipment makes the day no fun at all ;)
An ATV or such would be real helpful .
Ya If I had one, an ATV would be helpful , their back hoe might be a little helpful to ;)

I am with Dennis and get everything done after the last day of deer season J/1 and before the mud season hits. I do not like working in the heat and bugs but certainly would if that was my only option. you have a couple months(likely) before the heat and bugs get real bad so have at it asap.

Status
Not open for further replies.