Micor 300

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mrwardy

Sep 11, 2008
Seacoast NH
Has anybody used Micor 300 fireboard. I am constructing a hearth and will be using 1/2 board which has a 1.1 K value. I was wondering if anybody has any experience with this. I was thinking about laying brick right on top of this board.. It is a little soft though so not sure how the best way to use it will be.
Was also think about putting down 1/4 Plywood then the Micor to give it some more rigidity. Any opinions or insights are welcome.

Thanks, Jason

mrwardy said:
Has anybody used Micor 300 fireboard. I am constructing a hearth and will be using 1/2 board which has a 1.1 K value. I was wondering if anybody has any experience with this. I was thinking about laying brick right on top of this board.. It is a little soft though so not sure how the best way to use it will be.
Was also think about putting down 1/4 Plywood then the Micor to give it some more rigidity. Any opinions or insights are welcome.

Thanks, Jason

you need some durarock over the micore. I don't see how you would use just micore.

Micore's a great insulating material, but not a great structural material. It needs to be sandwiched between other materials with better crush strength that will spread out the floor loading over a wide area in a hearth application. Rick

Micore will not support tile alone. Put some Durok on top and you'll be fine.

For my hearthpad I used a base of 3/4" plywood, followed by two 1/2" sheets of Micore, then a layer of Durock. I then used appropriate lenghted Durock screws to secure the "sandwich" together. I then put tile over the top of the Durock and trimed the edges with oak.

Came out real nice. Very heavy though so you may want to build it in place.

I'm building a hearth pad right now as well. I was planning on using ceramic tile on top of durarock on top of micore on top of plywood... Do I need to use any bonding (mortar) between the micore and durarock? What about fastening the micore to the plywood?

I put a few screws in to hold the micore to the plywood, added the durarock with nothing in between, then screwed through the durarock and micore into the plywood to hold it all together.

Status
Not open for further replies.