Micore 300

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Karjudd

May 13, 2020
Portland Oregon
Trying to determine if Micore 300 is considered “non-combustible”? I see in their documentation that it is considered “flame resistant” but nowhere does it say non combustible. Wondering if it can be used against the surround around a gas fireplace (not a insert).
Thanks!

If you can put sheetrock against a gas fireplace, I don't see why you
can't use micore, other than it has virtually NO structural strength.
What are you planning on putting over it?

Yep, don’t need it to be structural. Sheetrock can go next to gas fire but not over the face of it. Hardibacker will accomplish that. I am building a raised hearth for a fireplace xtrordinair 564 that will be a clean face install. That means the 5 3/4 inch lower area below the glass face needs to be constructed of totally non combustible material. I bought 2 x 4 aluminum stock to attach cement board too not realizing the cement board would corrode the aluminum. So looking to see if the micore would be a non combustible bond breaker between the Aluminum and hardibacker.