Micore alternative?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cousinscarpentry

Dec 22, 2016
North wales pa
After reviewing this forum for awhile I decided to go with an Englander 13-NC as my first stove. It requires a hearth pad with an R value of 2. I found some sites to order Micore from, but I saw this on home depot's site.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Sound-Ba...-ft-x-8-ft-R-1-2-Sound-Board-206136/202090212

Says it has an R value of 1.2. Would this be ok to use? I was thinking sandwiching a couple sheets of this with some durarock if so.

I would like to find something that Lowe's or HD has in stock instead of waiting for Micore to ship.

Thanks

Hard to tell without more info than what is on HD's site. It might actually be micore. Do they stock it at your local HD?

IIRC Combustible materials are rated class a,b,c. A has the lowest rate of spread. So even though it has a high r value it is combustible. Micore is a tough find unless you need an entire bunk. I located some old cubicle panels and stripped the fabric off to get the micore. If you find panels that seem solid its a goid bet they have 2 sheets of micore in them.

The hearth needs non-combustible materials. Micore is mineral fiber. The 440 Sound Barrier board appears to be made of cellulose and 1-6% paraffin.

Product Identification: Medium Density Fiber Board (Cellulose Based)

Status
Not open for further replies.