Micore and cement board came in today!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
I've already cut the carpet and pad back for the hearth.

Micore looks like it can be cut with a utility knife. Is this the best way?

Instead of dealing with 3x5 sheets of concrete, I picked up some hardiboard in 4x8 sheets. It's a bit more expensive, but dealing with less pieces is probably worth the added cost. What is the best way to cut this board. The 3x5 boards supposedly can be cut by the score and snap method. Same here?

And lastly, how would you secure these boards down?

TIA,
Matt

EatenByLimestone said:
Micore looks like it can be cut with a utility knife. Is this the best way?
And lastly, how would you secure these boards down?
Thats how I did it with a utility knife...
for cement board wonderboard...:
They probbly make a special screw for the app but most any wood type screw should do.
1 every 8" in a line and then another line next to it 8" over... basicly 1 every 8" squared.
You should also morter the cement boord to the subfloor with a notched trowel... are you putting the cement directly on the subfloor?

For clean cuts on the concrete board, a masonary blade on your circuliar saw zips right thru the board, but dust everywhere so do it outside if you chose this method.

According to durock it is fastened every 4 to 6 inches apart on the outside edges, and 6 to 8 inches apart on the inside of the board. Drywall screws are fine but the heads snap off a little easy. I believe you need to use thinset (latex modified if going over wood) on the floor before you lay down the durock, then screw it down, use the correct tape and filler for the seams or joints. Leave a gap where the durock meets any wall. Might want to use some sheet metal under the durock and against the wall where the durock meeets the fireplace just for safgety sake.

I tried to link you to the pdf for installation, but it won't work. Just do a quick google on it and you will get the correct install info on Durock. KD

Status
Not open for further replies.