Micore300 Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Poult

Jan 12, 2008
Northern NYS
Another hearth pad building question for you folks.

If you are using Micore board in the pad, could you use two 1/2" panels of it on top of each other and then a couple of sheets of Durock on top and have that be the whole hearth pad? Or is Micore vulnerable enough to compression that you should sandwich it with more Durock? Say, one sheet of Micore, one sheet of Durock, another sheet of Micore and then two more sheets of Durock (all 1/2" thick). I'm still exploring ways to build this darned hearth pad . . .

Poult

Since you are proposing putting a layer of hard material on top of the micore I would very much build it as you describe. Micore may not have a strong enough resistance to poking that you can put a stove leg right on it but if you distribute the load by means of durock then the overall poking power is much lower on a per square inch basis.

Your durock layers will distribute the load. You could darn near put empty pop cans under those sheets of durock.

Very simple and functional......my hearthpad:

3/4" Plywood base
2 layers of 1/2" Micore next
then 1 layer of Durock (this entire "sandwich is now secured with Durock screws, down into the plywood)
lastly a layer of ceramic tile that is adhered to the Durock and grouted.

The entire hearthpad was then trimmed with oak.

Done.

Thanks. This is starting to sound easier than messing around with the old garage door rails I was considering before to create an airspace in the pad with, even considering the cost.

BTW, if anyone is having a hard time finding Micore board in their area, I found this website today that sells it online:
http://www.mantelsdirect.com/MC300-Micore-Board?amp;category=304

They sell only the one size, but right now the shipping is free, so it doesn't seem like the worst deal out there.

Poult

Status
Not open for further replies.