Mid-Atlantic Grass Seed For Low Light and Mid Light Conditions - DISCUSS

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NoPaint

Feeling the Heat
Jan 2, 2009
USA
I live in the mid atlantic and am reseeding my whole yard. My yard is generally shady to mixed shade. What would you plant?

Last time I planted I stuck to something that was recommended by University of R.I. agricultural extension services for this area . for shade and non- traffic. kind of a dark green, but it hasn't died out , stays green all Summer and seems to be established enough that it is keeping out the natural grass plant seed that would normally be trying to take over.

I've done blends and ended up with patches of different colors of green. I've stuck withh just one fescue type and had problems a blend may have mitigated.
My front lawn is now indigenous (wild) grass and two colors. (the shade spot I did last is out back)

Any bags of seed at your local whatever lawn care store have something with your state university local experimental endorsement ?

I also had better luck planting in the Fall.
Seems the wrong time of year, but it works.

Not to hijack this, but has anyone tried no mow grass? We are about to do seeding for a fresh area and were wondering about this seed.

Status
Not open for further replies.