Mid atlantic US winter prediction?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FLINT

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2008
Western VA Mtns.
I was wondering if anyone has heard any predictions for this winter. I live in the northwestern va near WV. Last winter was colder than average but not much snow. And this past summer was really mild. Wonder what this winter will bring.

Cool, thanks. I watched that Joe Bastardi clip - looks like a good winter ahead. we live in a hollow at the bottom of the mountain so it could get interesting. Glad I've got plenty of wood :)

mellow said:
Looks like avg temps and precip. for my area. Geesh, we haven't had a good snowstorm here since 1996.

All this work I do to have a good woodpile makes me jaded to an avg. winter.

I think all of us wood burners feel a little tempted to challenge mother nature and shake our fist an another "average" winter. Some primal part of us wants to defy the gods and show that we can make it fine with our stoves and our seasoned stacks.

But in reality, about 2 days of that shiat is about the most I want to endure! :lol:

I have to agree that I like the validation that comes from being warm and toasty when everyone else is being miserly with their thermostat. And when a good storm comes and knocks out power I get downright smug.

Looks like I am in the "Bitterly Cold and Dry Zone". Nothing I didn't already know, but now I suddenly have this inclination to go to the log pile and buck up and split another 5 fc of hardwood just in case for late winter use.

Well, we dipped into the twenties last night and are going up to sixty and sunny today. The Mid-Atlantic winter see-saw has begun.

FLINT said:
I was wondering if anyone has heard any predictions for this winter. I live in the northwestern va near WV. Last winter was colder than average but not much snow. And this past summer was really mild. Wonder what this winter will bring.

Well, to paraphrase the "hippie dippy weatherman", "Looks like we'll have cold and snow this winter, with intermittent periods of warming toward spring."

That's the hippy dippy weather, around here.

Dave

We were supposed to have a relatively active hurricane season (not quite over yet)
The price of home heating oil and natural gas was supposed to be <<low>> (HHO seems it might see saw back down , but I doubt it)

What's the Farmer's Almanac say again ? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.