Mid-Maine powder to prevent Creosote ?!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wood-fan-atic

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
On a recent vacation to New Hampshire ( Jackson, in the White Mountains - unbelievably beautiful ), I came across a product in a mom and pop hardware store called 'Mid-Maine Creosote Sweep". It's a black powder that you sprinkle 1/2 a cup on hot coals twice a week to lessen/prevent creosote buildup on your chimney liner? Has anyone heard of this or a similar product? Any positive results- or just snake oil?

Typically what you find is those products are designed to change stage 3 or "glaze" creosote into something fluffier and more brushable. Not saying they don't have their place, but they are no substitute for regular inspections and manual cleanings.

I don't use anything like this as I don't have and issue with creosote. I wonder if this product is aimmed at the folks that start cutting/splitting this year's wood after the first hard frost. That is a very common practice.

+1 to Pagey and ZZ's comments . . . if you burn truly seasoned wood, burn at the proper temps and check and clean your chimney on a regular basis you should never need to buy any additives (or burn up your beer cans, potato peelings, magic jelly beans, heart of a rooster sacrificed on the 1st full moon, unicorn horns, etc.)

Agreed. The vast majority of my fuel supply is 1+ year old cherry,ash,and oak that checks on the MM at between 14-22%, the higher number only being smack damn in the middle of my thickest oak splits. Fuel is nice and dry, starts fast, and burns great. I let it burn real hot during re-fuels for about 20 min, about 3 times a day, and this seems to be working very well, as I have found very little creosote build-up during inspections. I also imagine this is aided by the fact the non-cat insert is just so efficient at lowering emissions. I was just curious when I saw it (the powder), and wondered if anybody has found it useful. I guess it couldnt hurt. :blank:

wood-fan-atic said:
Agreed. The vast majority of my fuel supply is 1+ year old cherry,ash,and oak that checks on the MM at between 14-22%, the higher number only being smack damn in the middle of my thickest oak splits. Fuel is nice and dry, starts fast, and burns great. I let it burn real hot during re-fuels for about 20 min, about 3 times a day, and this seems to be working very well, as I have found very little creosote build-up during inspections. I also imagine this is aided by the fact the non-cat insert is just so efficient at lowering emissions. I was just curious when I saw it (the powder), and wondered if anybody has found it useful. I guess it couldnt hurt. :blank:

Heck - it sounds like you are right on point with your burn method. If you got extra money burning a hole in your pocket, I can give you my pay pal account number to send it too. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.