Midwest River Flooding

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lukem

Minister of Fire
Jan 12, 2010
Indiana
The rivers are as bad as I've ever seen them. The Wabash river in my hometown crested at its highest level since 1958. Water was across the roads in two places (streams back-flooding from the river) where I've never seen it get close to road level.

We've had a couple levee failures putting thousands of acres of prime cropland under water with no where to drain. Another big dose of rain forecasted this week. Going to be a hard year for the lowland row-croppers, and a lot of guys got hit pretty hard with the drought last year.

The good news is it has been mostly confined to areas near the river. We had major flooding 6 or 7 years ago when we got 10 inches of rain in one night resulting in widespread flash flooding.

I bet there's a lot of flooding along the Wabash R.
Flood warnings all over the mid west
Click on almost any mid west state & see flood warnings.
Winter storm warning for North-mid-west

Warnings

Keep your wood dry ;)

2 more inches of rain last night, but the rivers have crested and don't look to go up any more. A little bit of standing water everywhere. Going to be a while before anyone gets into the fields.

Drought and can't navigate the Mississippi, now flooding like mad... they're doing great, on average

That about sums it up. By the start of last October we were 13" behind on rain (48%). This year, as of today, we are ahead 7" (70%).

Strange here - I am low and have a clay base so I always have some standing water in the spring but compared to many years in the past this has been rather light in my back yard. On the contrary - every river is flooding around here and my friends golf course is under water in Williamston due to the Red Cedar going over the banks.

Three or four years ago we had a member in the Midwest that had all of his wood stacks float away in the flooding.

Status
Not open for further replies.