1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Midwest River Flooding

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by lukem, Apr 22, 2013.

1. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    The rivers are as bad as I've ever seen them. The Wabash river in my hometown crested at its highest level since 1958. Water was across the roads in two places (streams back-flooding from the river) where I've never seen it get close to road level.

We've had a couple levee failures putting thousands of acres of prime cropland under water with no where to drain. Another big dose of rain forecasted this week. Going to be a hard year for the lowland row-croppers, and a lot of guys got hit pretty hard with the drought last year.

The good news is it has been mostly confined to areas near the river. We had major flooding 6 or 7 years ago when we got 10 inches of rain in one night resulting in widespread flash flooding.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    I bet there's a lot of flooding along the Wabash R.
    Flood warnings all over the mid west
    Click on almost any mid west state & see flood warnings.
    Winter storm warning for North-mid-west

Warnings

Keep your wood dry ;)
  3. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    2 more inches of rain last night, but the rivers have crested and don't look to go up any more. A little bit of standing water everywhere. Going to be a while before anyone gets into the fields.
  4. Adios Pantalones

Adios Pantalones Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S.NH- Mass's smoking section
    Drought and can't navigate the Mississippi, now flooding like mad... they're doing great, on average
    Jags likes this.
  5. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    That about sums it up. By the start of last October we were 13" behind on rain (48%). This year, as of today, we are ahead 7" (70%).
  6. BobUrban

BobUrban Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Michigan
    Strange here - I am low and have a clay base so I always have some standing water in the spring but compared to many years in the past this has been rather light in my back yard. On the contrary - every river is flooding around here and my friends golf course is under water in Williamston due to the Red Cedar going over the banks.
  7. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Three or four years ago we had a member in the Midwest that had all of his wood stacks float away in the flooding.