Mig Welder Recommendations ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
the MIG welding was on steel assy jigs for the tool shop

That makes sense, I should of figured that out as I am also a aviation TIG welder who also fabs tooling and jigs as needed using aluminum and hardwire MIG, also repair and modify company GSE gear and maintenance stands / platforms

I think I bleed blue ;) I have a 130xp mig and a Thunderbolt ACDC. Both have served me very well!!Millers customer service is second to none in my experience.

If I was buying new again, I'd likely go with a Millermatic 252. Not the cheapest option, but a very solid machine (experience with one at work). You have all the flexability to weld light stuff with the power to do heavy material too.

If I had a huge budget I'd love a crack at a 350P ::-) Pulse mig is the cats ass.

Reactions: MasterMech
The main thing to look for is the duty cycle the bigger the percentage the better. I would only recommend a 240 volt welder, if any size or time welding is going to be done. Another classic example you get what you pay for.

Reactions: Dune
Thanks for the advice guys I am going to wait a little longer and save for the Hobart 190 it looks perfect for my needs. I also like how Hobart handles and feels.

Pete

I think I bleed blue ;) I have a 130xp mig and a Thunderbolt ACDC. Both have served me very well!!Millers customer service is second to none in my experience.

If I was buying new again, I'd likely go with a Millermatic 252. Not the cheapest option, but a very solid machine (experience with one at work). You have all the flexability to weld light stuff with the power to do heavy material too.

If I had a huge budget I'd love a crack at a 350P ::-) Pulse mig is the cats ass.
Scooby, quit readin' my mind! ==c

Some of those Pulse MIG welds in aluminum make TIG look like a waste of time....

Ok first off I have used many Eastwood products and have not been let down yet so here it goes lol. ( Please don't hurt me ) I found this earlier today and thought after watching a lot of reviews and reading a bunch I might want to try it out. Do any of you have experience with Eastwood welders ? I went forum hopping and to my surprise it has good comments all over as well as ratings. Any thoughts ? As of today I have a bunch of work lined up for welding most medium duty so I am defiantly gonna use it to make money.
http://www.eastwood.com/mig-welders-175-amp-mig-welder-w-spool-gun.html

( edit ) I forgot it also has a 3 year hassle free warranty !

Pete

Chinese and plastic drive.. Seen enough to make me look elsewhere!!

$499 and it includes a Spoolgun.. its far too cheap. Id keep my $500 in my pocket and keep saving. You're halfway to a Millermatic 180, which is a well known good machine.

Reactions: Dune and MasterMech
Holy crap! I'm not the only hypoglycemic MIG fanboy. Big MIG with flux-core will do a lot of what a stick welder will do and then some. Just costs more.

I always eat before I have a lot of TIG to do. (or any welding) It really helps control the shakes. ;lol

damn, we should start our own forum

Status
Not open for further replies.