1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Mig Welder Recommendations ?

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by Pallet Pete, Feb 7, 2013.

1. ironpony

ironpony Minister of Fire

Loc:
    mid-ohio

the MIG welding was on steel assy jigs for the tool shop

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Elderthewelder

Elderthewelder Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Everett, Washington
    That makes sense, I should of figured that out as I am also a aviation TIG welder who also fabs tooling and jigs as needed using aluminum and hardwire MIG, also repair and modify company GSE gear and maintenance stands / platforms
  3. scooby074

scooby074 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    I think I bleed blue ;) I have a 130xp mig and a Thunderbolt ACDC. Both have served me very well!!Millers customer service is second to none in my experience.

If I was buying new again, I'd likely go with a Millermatic 252. Not the cheapest option, but a very solid machine (experience with one at work). You have all the flexability to weld light stuff with the power to do heavy material too.

If I had a huge budget I'd love a crack at a 350P ::-) Pulse mig is the cats ass.
    MasterMech likes this.
  4. Couderay80

Couderay80 Member

Loc:
    South of the windy city
    The main thing to look for is the duty cycle the bigger the percentage the better. I would only recommend a 240 volt welder, if any size or time welding is going to be done. Another classic example you get what you pay for.
    Dune likes this.
  5. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Guest

Thanks for the advice guys I am going to wait a little longer and save for the Hobart 190 it looks perfect for my needs. I also like how Hobart handles and feels.

Pete
  6. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Scooby, quit readin' my mind! ==c

Some of those Pulse MIG welds in aluminum make TIG look like a waste of time....
  7. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Guest

Ok first off I have used many Eastwood products and have not been let down yet so here it goes lol. ( Please don't hurt me ) I found this earlier today and thought after watching a lot of reviews and reading a bunch I might want to try it out. Do any of you have experience with Eastwood welders ? I went forum hopping and to my surprise it has good comments all over as well as ratings. Any thoughts ? As of today I have a bunch of work lined up for welding most medium duty so I am defiantly gonna use it to make money.
    http://www.eastwood.com/mig-welders-175-amp-mig-welder-w-spool-gun.html

( edit ) I forgot it also has a 3 year hassle free warranty !

Pete
  8. scooby074

scooby074 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    Chinese and plastic drive.. Seen enough to make me look elsewhere!!

$499 and it includes a Spoolgun.. its far too cheap. Id keep my $500 in my pocket and keep saving. You're halfway to a Millermatic 180, which is a well known good machine.
    Dune and MasterMech like this.
  9. madrone

madrone Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Just South of Portland, OR
    biggest miller you can afford
    scooby074 likes this.
  10. madrone

madrone Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Just South of Portland, OR
    damn, we should start our own forum